Author Topic: Grafted Sungold  (Read 1252 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
Grafted Sungold
« on: May 17, 2018, 14:32:49 »
For a variety of reasons this year, I've not managed to sow our own tomatoes for growing outside. So last week I went to a nursery where they have an excellent selection of own-grown plants.  Chose 16 lovely  plants, 9 different varieties.   Then my eye was caught by their good selection of grafted tomatoes (tomate greffé).  I tried these a few years ago with good success, but not since. And there was a Grafted Sungold - my favourite tomato, and the one I miss most of all if I don't grow my own seed. How could I resist it?!

I will follow the amateur advice I was given before, to keep three or four of the lower side shoots, and grow those up their own individual stake, for a much bigger crop.

So they are now planted out and waiting hopefully for some warm and sunny weather.  Where we are (French Pyrenees) it has been cold, wet and horrible for ages.  Even gone back to winter woollies and central heating, while the UK has been basking in warm sunshine. 

pumkinlover

Re: Grafted Sungold
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 14:50:25 »
Hopefully the grafted tomatoes were less than the £6 I saw some of sale at last weekend!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 18:39:06 »
About £4, so less, thankfully.  But from meh previous experience, growing up the main stem, and four other canes, gives effectively 5 plants, so well worth it. Fingers crossed!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 19:01:21 »
Just to report on progress with my bought grafted Sungold. I'm picking about 40 tomatoes a day, off the five stems, so although it cost about £4, it's definitely worth it.  In the past I've sown the Sungold seed from an expensive packet that has perhaps five seeds in it.  For now it is easier for me to buy plants, so one expensive sungold has been brilliant as it is my favourite tasting tomato for salads and  also for soup for the winter.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:07:37 »
Definitely best tasting tomato, only one I normally grow now. I did try a few beefsteak this year but they've been terrible! Won't bother again!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal