Author Topic: beaten by the heat  (Read 1640 times)

ACE

• Hectare
beaten by the heat
« on: August 03, 2018, 17:14:06 »
Started early again but ran out of steam by eleven, had a wobbly moment so headed for home. I took some frozen water with me which went pretty quickly. Still I go two more raised beds in and filled them with compost. Took the netting off the cabbages to hoe them and found a monster lurking in the bed enough for at least 7 double potions. A bit for tea the rest gets frozen.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: beaten by the heat
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 17:42:54 »
Now this is what you need!!
Take it steady
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 20:48:13 »
I took some frozen water with me

Cold tea is said to be more refreshing.

So on that note I guess a beer at ambient temperature could possibly be as refreshing as cold tea and better than ice water!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 21:39:26 »
My secret weapon to beat the heat in the garden is a slightly damp tea towel folded and put round my head like a bandana.  Makes a big difference for me.

I guess a male version could be one of these white cotton hats and dampen that.  Guaranteed to ruin any hairstyle, but in sweaty heat, hair doesn't stay looking good anyway.  It prevents that heat faint feeling.   :sunny:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:15:05 »

Cold tea is said to be more refreshing.

I can still remember working in Leeds way back in the sixties. The other blokes used to bring bottles of cold tea and a lump of coal for their break,  I had a flask and sandwiches being a big southern softy.  Water is all I need, not for refreshment, more for hydration, I must have sweat out a couple of gallons yesterday. Beer would be nice but only after I have finished for the day. I had half a gallon last night so it will be pouring out of me again later. As for running about with a rag tied around my head, I'll pass on that one.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 19:21:06 »
I've seen a few people sparko recently - one mature lady in the park in some distress and an elderly fella on his backside down the plot. 
Both being helped by passers by with water, shade etc - easy to forget that some people do suffer a lot in the heat.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 21:30:34 »
44C in the sun at 6:30pm here and 36C in the shade.  Have done no gardening other than watering pots and two new beds.

Too hot and dry to sow, plant, weed, dig..........
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 08:07:55 »
Found a young blackbird looking distressed.
Left some water and meal worms nearby hope it was ok.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 19:02:01 »
Went back later in the afternoon but it was still strength sapping heat. So I rode back along the seafront to get some sea breeze and decided to stop and have a paddle. It did not stay a paddle long as I just kept walking until the water was up to my waist or where my waist used to be, then dipped right under. Colder than I expected but very refreshed now  and singing an octave higher.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 18:36:44 »
I recommend one of these, great to wear around your neck and stay really cold for ages, can also be worn around your head if you have a migraine ( and don't mind looking like a tw*t!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-British-Army-Issue-Desert-Tan-Hot-Weather-Reusable-Neck-Cooler-Scarf-/380312111126
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal