Author Topic: Indigo Rose Tomatoes  (Read 1167 times)

BockingWill

• Not So New ...
Indigo Rose Tomatoes
« on: August 02, 2018, 08:37:50 »
We have grown what looks like a possible good crop of the Indigo Rose Tomatoes both in the greenhouse and outside. However, they have been black for a long while now but show no sign of the bottom of the fruit turning red.

Has anyone had experience of growing these tomatoes and if so does it take a very long time for the fruit to ripen and turn red at the bottom of the fruit?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Indigo Rose Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:23:55 »
Yes it does take rather a long time for them to ripen.  But you do want them fully ripe.  When the fruit softens and has quite a bit of red is the best guide for ripeness.   :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 20:18:12 »
indeed mine are still like snooker balls it takes an age but they look great really shinny i put them in the first row and always get comments about them ranging from they look good to what the hell are they you wouldnt get me to eat them
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 22:28:08 »
I'm still growing PSU blue which gave rise to the indigo series.. unless I am mistaken... the last really long into the season, when others have finished so don't grump at them being slow!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:29:44 »
Yes Indigo Blue is a tight selection (more uniformity) from OSU Blue, the best being the 20th plant of the cross.  My OSU20s are a little smaller than Indigo Blue (which I also grow), but otherwise very much identical.  Oregon State University did the original cross between a tomato and an edible blue solanum berry that is a distant relative, but obviously capable of being crossed. 

It was bred to contain anthocyanin, which has the same health giving ingredients as blackberries and blueberries.  Now we have quite a number of 'blue' tomatoes that are all derived from this one.

A bit more of the history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_tomato

:wave:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 10:37:16 by galina »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 14:52:13 »
Thought it was Penn State not Oregon.. but I've been wrong before... and will be again...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal