Author Topic: MEDITERRANEAN STYLE STUFFED CALAMARI WITH SUMAC MAYO DIP AND ORZO SALAD  (Read 1904 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
MEDITERRANEAN STYLE STUFFED CALAMARI WITH SUMAC MAYO DIP AND ORZO SALAD

One Bonus of living along the south coast UK is the amount of squid we get on the piers and using jig lures I get the chance to catch myself some supper, one of my favs is stuffed squid……………

Sumac, is a tangy Lemony flavoured ground berry that is kind of sour tasting ...NO heat....just flavour ...and blended with mayo and lemon juice makes for a refreshing dip for the squid pieces

Once cleaned and gutted the squid hoods are stuffed and frazzle fried for a delicious lunch.

INGREDIENTS (enough for 8 squid approx.)= 4 people

Whole calamari squid (2 per person) cleaned and gutted
 120g / 5oz fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
 120g / 5oz feta cheese crumbled
 75g / 3oz Kalamata Olives chopped fine
 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped fine
 1 tbsp fresh garden mint chopped fine
 1 Hot Red Chilli chopped fine ( or more to taste)
 Fresh lemon skin shavings
 Salt and pepper
 Low Cal Olive oil spray for cooking

Salads of your choosing
 Pre made Orzo Pasta

SUMAC MAYO
 150G / 6oz low cal mayonnaise
 1 tsp Sumac Powder
 Squeeze of lemon

Right let get cracking……………make your Sumac Dip …….. hollow out half a fresh lemon remove flesh and pith and set juice aside……..use as makeshift pot for your sumac dip

Combine the breadcrumbs, feta, olives, chilli and oregano in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the mixture into the squid hoods and close the ends with toothpicks to secure…..dont overfill or the squid hoods will split open in the pan

Lightly spray the prepared squid hoods with oil

BE VERY AWARE UNLESS YOU WANT THE LOCAL FIRE BRIGADE CHECKING OUT IF YOUR TRYING YOUR UTMOST TO BURN THE KITCHEN DOWN……OPEN YOUR WINDOWS OR SET YOUR OVEN VENTILATOR TO MAXIMUM AS THESE LITTLE SO AND SO,S SMOKE A LOT AS YOU SEAR THE SKINS………..SO BE WARNED. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Preheat an oiled grill pan or fry pan preferably non-stick to very hot and cook the squid heads/tentacles for about 1 minute….then set aside ….then….fry the stuffed squid bodies for about 2 mins each side till cooked but be careful not to overcook or they will be tough.

Cut the squid into thick slices and arrange on the salad

Sprinkle more Sumac powder over your salad………..

Serve with lemon juice and slices,Orzo salad ….but most importantly dip a piece of the stuffed Calamari squid in the Sumac Mayo…its delish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy

Gazza

peanuts

• Hectare
Oh Gazza, your restaurant looks seriously good.  Can we all come please?

gazza1960

• Hectare
well jude has always said I plate for a coach party rather than an individual....so you better get on your bike....ill just pop out and catch some more squidlies................

pumkinlover

Never heard of sumac powder before your post.

gazza1960

• Hectare
Every days a skool day................ :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal