Author Topic: garlic bulbils  (Read 1180 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
garlic bulbils
« on: July 29, 2018, 11:46:37 »
Are these any use for planting or eating? I planted garlic in Sept 17 and April this year. 2017 planting did okay but this year's very small with lack of rain.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: garlic bulbils
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 14:17:19 »
Do you mean bulbs, small cloves or top bulbils from flowers of hardneck garlic?  :wave:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 19:43:40 »
I mean the top bulbils from flowers

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 07:03:43 »
You can plant them and it takes 2 years to produce normal garlic for all but the largest bulbils.  (the pea sized bulbils of some garlic can produce in one year). 

You can lightly crush them with the flat blade of a knife and they will then squeeze through the garlic press.  For any long cooking (stew etc) they can be used, skins and all, and the skin will cook soft and not be a problem in a stew.  You can add to a bouquet garni which is a herb mixture in a little muslin sack and which gets taken out before serving. 

You can plant them up for green garlic.  Densely planted now they will give you chive like plants in spring that have many uses in the kitchen for a milder garlic flavour.   :wave:

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 11:25:09 »
You can plant them and it takes 2 years to produce normal garlic for all but the largest bulbils.  (the pea sized bulbils of some garlic can produce in one year). 

You can lightly crush them with the flat blade of a knife and they will then squeeze through the garlic press.  For any long cooking (stew etc) they can be used, skins and all, and the skin will cook soft and not be a problem in a stew.  You can add to a bouquet garni which is a herb mixture in a little muslin sack and which gets taken out before serving. 

You can plant them up for green garlic.  Densely planted now they will give you chive like plants in spring that have many uses in the kitchen for a milder garlic flavour.   :wave:
Thanks Galina. I prefer the last option as I like to use garlic stems but mine didn't last long this year with the hot weather.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal