Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Runner Beans

(1/3) > >>

Tiny Clanger:
The French beans are doing fairly well, but our runner beans (white lady and celebration) have not produced many beans so far. Will the beans produce more in a few weeks or should I put up another wigwan and plant more.  Is the heat and seasonal lateness against me?  :blob7:

Pescador:
Lots of people talking about poor runner performance this year. Wouldn't think another sowing would do any better. Just a raelly bad set of conditions for runners.

johhnyco15:
yes its a bad year but for us here on the sunshine coast its black fly biblical proportions of the little blighters however noticed today an army of ladybirds on my beans fingers crossed as its dry here most summers i plant my beans late so should be first havest this weekend french beans have not been affected and i plant those early so had a good crop but i expect the runner bean yeild to be down on last year due to the heat and pests

Digeroo:
I reckon its rather late to sow more runner beans and get much.  For me the cut off is the middle of July.  I would suggest climbing French, but actually think you will do better at this stage with dwarf French.

I am doing well with Moonlight.  But I am spraying the flowers daily to dampen them and to hose off the ants and black fly, and watering daily.

ancellsfarmer:
Its certainly a difficult year for runners. The flowers are setting but the fewer beans produced are short and 'age' immediately, becoming stringy in a couple of days.
If the weather breaks, I intend to'prune' maybe ,half of the row, to induce, hopefully , side shoots which may carry on and produce. Also, cut back to near ground, some to see if they will go again. This is experimental, having noticed that sometimes roots left in the ground try again.
 Any thoughts or experiences?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version