Author Topic: Runner Beans  (Read 2236 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Runner Beans
« on: July 25, 2018, 16:53:16 »
The French beans are doing fairly well, but our runner beans (white lady and celebration) have not produced many beans so far. Will the beans produce more in a few weeks or should I put up another wigwan and plant more.  Is the heat and seasonal lateness against me?  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 17:29:34 »
Lots of people talking about poor runner performance this year. Wouldn't think another sowing would do any better. Just a raelly bad set of conditions for runners.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 18:52:24 »
yes its a bad year but for us here on the sunshine coast its black fly biblical proportions of the little blighters however noticed today an army of ladybirds on my beans fingers crossed as its dry here most summers i plant my beans late so should be first havest this weekend french beans have not been affected and i plant those early so had a good crop but i expect the runner bean yeild to be down on last year due to the heat and pests
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 21:10:49 »
I reckon its rather late to sow more runner beans and get much.  For me the cut off is the middle of July.  I would suggest climbing French, but actually think you will do better at this stage with dwarf French.

I am doing well with Moonlight.  But I am spraying the flowers daily to dampen them and to hose off the ants and black fly, and watering daily.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 21:38:31 »
Its certainly a difficult year for runners. The flowers are setting but the fewer beans produced are short and 'age' immediately, becoming stringy in a couple of days.
If the weather breaks, I intend to'prune' maybe ,half of the row, to induce, hopefully , side shoots which may carry on and produce. Also, cut back to near ground, some to see if they will go again. This is experimental, having noticed that sometimes roots left in the ground try again.
 Any thoughts or experiences?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 23:12:29 »
I've just cut a row of Celebration runners down to knee high, in the hope of new top growth.
A bad case of blackfly stopped them from growing, early on, but the Ladybirds have now arrived :) They weren't doing anything as they were so I'm hoping this will shock them into growing again. Worth a try, I reckon.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 10:52:12 »
Thanks for that everybody.  Won't bother to try and plant more.  Will go with what we have and just keep giving as much water as possible.  No problem here with Blackfly/slugs/snails but the whitefly in the garden is horrific.  does not seem to be too bad on the plot - yet.  Will persevere.

The Celeriac is doing quite well. lots of water and there will be a crop later  :toothy10:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 18:51:48 »
Some  of my beans blown over in the  wind. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

I was final winning with the blackfly I don't think ants like being jetted off.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 18:54:15 by Digeroo »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 08:11:12 »
Sorry to hear Digeroo.  We can't win this season can we?   :BangHead:

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 08:14:20 »
Some  of my beans blown over in the  wind. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

I was final winning with the blackfly I don't think ants like being jetted off.

Oh no!!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:08 »
I got flowers but no set to date, however the plants are big enough and since they have wasted no effort on making beans all that vigour should still be there - hoping for big crops in September!

I also led one into a nearby shadier patch - remains to be seen if that works.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal