Author Topic: Help ! What can I plant ???  (Read 1476 times)

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
Help ! What can I plant ???
« on: April 25, 2005, 21:55:20 »
Hi guys and gals,  Love the help and advice which is always available. :)

I have finally just got my first allotment , and I am now trying to sort out the weeds.  It will take about another 3-4 weeks before it will be ready to plant anything.

Will I be able to still plant potatoes, peas, runner beans etc at the end of May??

If I am able to still plant spuds, then which variety is best?

I have loads of strawberries to plant, and the salad stuff is also ready to plant, but I would still like to plant garlic, sprouts and spuds

Sorry to ask so many questions, it's just that I am "as green as grass" at the moment.

Thanks  Ruth

« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:57:46 by giantseye »

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Re: Help ! What can I plant ???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 11:53:24 »
You can still plant almost anything!

As I live in the north midlands and the weather has been cold and wet I have only just started to dig my plot. I have just planted in my shallots which I am afraid is a little late in my books. What with the weather being so cold and wet I am hoping that they will grow allot quicker and I will have a good crop from them. I am going to plant my onion sets very soon as I have to dig a bed for them. You can grow sweet corn, courgettes, runner beans, broad beans, carrots, beetroot, almost anything up until the end of may and early June.

Hope this has been some help :)
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 13:09:46 »
Ruth, I would give anything a go at the end of May,it has 2 choices ;)
 thanks to the weather at the mo, I seem to be weeks behind already! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 13:24:25 »
 :) :) :)

Thanks to both of you for replying.

I thought that the end of May might be too late to really do anything.

Thanks for your help.  It's appreciated.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2005, 13:39:17 »
Giantseye - no need to panic. An awful lot of plants cannot go outside until late may/early june. They are too tender to withstand the frosts you get before that.

You can plant/sow courgettes, sqaushes, pumpkins, sweetcorn, runner beans, french beans, peas, etc all around late may.

You could always start some things of in pots indoors now (all the above plus tomatoes, peppers, etc) and plant them out after the frosts. You don't need a greenhouse - my windowsills are covered in seedlings now!

Carrots, radishes, beetroot, etc can all be sown up until the end of june and some people say not to even bother with parsnips until may (just so long as you're not entering them on the show bench).

Later sowings in the warm sunny months soon catch up with earlier sowings.

garlic will have to wait until the autumn, for harvesting next summer. Sprouts can be sown in pots now and planted out in june/july.
gone to pot :D

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2005, 22:25:32 »
Thanks aquilegia!!!!!!!

You can probably tell I'm new to this!!

I am trying to do too many things and I have started  panicking that I'm running out of time to get anything planted in time.  I know that I'm on a learning curve at the moment, and will be for the next few seasons, but all I seem to do at the moment is pull up weeds and not get anything planted.

Sorry for my whinging, and thanks for all your help.

Take care

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 06:27:29 »
I have just taken on a plot and it needs a lot doing . But I have just done small beds as I have got areas cleared and planted as I went along and will still be doing the same for a few weeks yet, so I wouldnt panic as it has been said everything has two choices. With the weather being the way it is later plantings will catch up anyway.

Good luck and welcome,  nice folk here!!!! ;D

Ron

Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal