Author Topic: Fig Cuttings  (Read 1006 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Fig Cuttings
« on: July 19, 2018, 06:11:04 »
So I took my three fig cuttings and then looked on line to see what to do with them. 
Big mistake I had take the wrong part of the tree.  I should have had lengths of old wood and put them into a plastic bag with water.  I watched as he cut off the nice pieces I had with part old wood and part green with leaves, and said those would go to the pigs.
As we no longer have pigs on site, I decided to plant what I had. 
The leaves fell off quite quickly, but there was a small green shoot left on each cutting so I decided they were worth watering until this also fell off.
Well I watered and watered and watered.  And I made some willow water and watered with that as well.
The weeks went by and nothing.  But they got watered because I had other cutting on the go.  Big surprise first one, then two and finally three, the green shoot at the top opened and a tiny leave has appeared.  To my amazement all three cuttings appear to have rooted.   
The big question is now when to move them.  I cannot have three figs, five black currants, two gooseberries and an aronia growing out of the top of a dalek compost bin.  Though actually the aronia does not look happy.  They do not get much light in there.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal