Author Topic: Quick fix?  (Read 1964 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Quick fix?
« on: July 13, 2018, 21:58:43 »
We've had to put our house back on the market and the garden is looking worse than it's ever looked, partly due to the drought and partly because I haven't bothered with annuals this year as we weren't expecting to be here. Can anyone suggest plants to fill the gaps, preferably long-lasting and cheap!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Quick fix?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 08:37:31 »
I would not be too concerned. Sadly, the majority of folks, certainly the younger ones ,do not enthuse over gardens, the prospect of upkeep necessity is actually a negative factor in their decision  making.
 Best 'tidy' it , and emphasize the safe play space. Any more energetic true garden lover will see it as a blank canvas
Because you are a garden lover, look to keep your options open, any new plants could be kept containerised and placed. Simpler to keep looking good , and ready to move, should that day come.
Keep cheerful, what will be, will be.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 08:58:03 »
A couple of nice wooden tubs with forsythias or similar, maybe hanging baskets either side of the front door.  First impressions and all that.  And just make sure the grass is mowed and bushes are trimmed.  Did you see the photos of the grass at Checkers yesterday?  All awful and brown.  Nobody will expect a green paradise at the moment.  :wave:

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 09:10:43 »
Grass? What grass? definitely no need to mow at the moment! I certainly won't be buying anything until the weather cools down. I bought an Echinacea at Harlow Carr garden show a couple of weeks ago and am having a devil of a job keeping it alive! Thanks for your comments.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 12:29:17 »
Sorry about the house problem. We have not even got that far with ours. Agree though, just keep the place looking neat and tidy.
Gardening is the great leveller.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 22:48:43 »
I wouldn't worry about the plants either.
I made sure our gardens were perfect when we put our house on the market and moved about 4 years ago. The front in particular had some really lovely specimen trees, lots of age and brilliant gnarled trunks and boughs, together with other planting, shrubs, perennials.
Drove past not so long ago - no plants left, not even a pot plant, they've paved over the lot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal