Author Topic: Purple Shiraz peas  (Read 186 times)

small

• Hectare
Purple Shiraz peas
« on: July 10, 2018, 18:54:08 »
Saw these in the Kings catalogue and thought they'd make a nice change for some salad flat peas. They were really easy to grow, good crop, so easy to pick and ornamental, of course - what a shame they don't taste of anything, and are tough as old boots. Anyone agree, or is this peculiar to my conditions do you think?

Allotments 4 All

Purple Shiraz peas
« on: July 10, 2018, 18:54:08 »

Paulh

• Acre
Re: Purple Shiraz peas
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 20:26:10 »
I've grown them for a few seasons and found them to be a good mangetout, provided they are well watered. I pick them small - before the peas are showing through - and they are tender. To be honest, I'm not sure that mangetout taste of much other than a little pea and a little sugar and they are as good as the ordinary mangetout on that score!

galina

• Hectare
  • Northants/Beds border
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:25 »
I far prefer Sugar Magnolia to Shiraz.  For flavour.  And my goodness they need watering in this weather.  This is too hot by far for peas. 

I am also growing Shiraz this year, but they are struggling.  I have them mainly for seed renewal and leaving pods on until the seeds are ripe slows production right down and the weather does not help.   :wave: 

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 14:21:21 »
I've kept them rigorously picked over to keep the crop going, shan't bother leaving any for seed. I'll use what's still in the packet next year, because I am mean, but then it's back to Carouby de Maussane, they are the nicest I've ever grown. Unless of course this beastly summer decides me to give up growing altogether!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:50:19 »
They are as good as any other mangetout for me (though I misplaced the packet this year so I've never tried them in heat).

The pods are a lot easier to find than green ones - quick picking, colourful salads, and if I really want flavour I grow snaps instead - living in hope of a good red or yellow snap soon!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Northants/Beds border
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 04:43:43 »

The pods are a lot easier to find than green ones - quick picking, colourful salads, and if I really want flavour I grow snaps instead - living in hope of a good red or yellow snap soon!

Cheers.

Opal Creek is available commercially:  https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/pea-opal-creek-sugarsnap/tm80803TM

I'm working on a good red as are a few people.  There was a red mangetout available apparently from a Dutch small seed seller last year, but when I came across them they were listed as sold out. 

:wave:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:46:23 by galina »

anything