Author Topic: Are Green Pumpkins edible or how to mistake a pumpkin for a courgette.  (Read 1076 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Well I managed to accidentally cut a pumpkin yesterday instead of a courgette. You may rightly wonder how I could manage to do that but I planted a row of round courgette plants (Di Tono) this year and in the same area planted Pumpkin "Racer". I had already harvested some round courgettes and noted a big one in a bushy plant that I took to be another Di Tono. I am used to Pumpkins sprawling all over the place so assumed it was a Di Tono and cut the fruit. Then I looked at the plant label (If all else fails read the instructions!!). It was Pumpkin Racer. Turns out this is a bush variety!
There were lots of flowers of the plant so I will will get more pumpkins but this leaves me with one green pumpkin about half the size of a football. Is it edible?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Yes, it is.  Most definitely.  Might not have the full flavour, but fried with a bit of olive oil, an onion and a bit of garlic (and some chili if you feel that way), it should still be very nice.  :wave:

Paulh

• Hectare
It will be edible but it might not be palatable!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Definitely edible and even more palatable - in fact I prefer them for making fritters as they have an extra nutty flavour on top of the courgette flavour.

I go for them when they are about 10cm across from plants that usually ripen at 30cm+ (I see no point in growing tasteless monsters, but few orange flesh pumpkins ever become as bland as a marrow). I used to only grow them for the delicious seeds until I discovered the flesh is good grated raw in coleslaw - the only place they can equal a carrot (so I can't speak for pale-flesh types).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal