Author Topic: Chilli skins inedible  (Read 997 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Chilli skins inedible
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:31:27 »
first time I've tried growing chillies.  Type: Medina.  They turned red about 1 month ago and I'm now picking the first ones.  Bit into one to taste and while the heat is ok, the skin is hard (almost inedible and not pleasant) ...loathe as I am to say it, not like shop-bought ones... couldnt use them in salad so bunging them in a curry.  The plant is healthy and they've been well-watered and dont think the recent heat should have had a bad effect... after all, they are chillies.  Am I missing a step?  Thanks for all the advice.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Chilli skins inedible
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:53:27 »
Flaming the skin off creates a unique flavour that I find irresistible - I grow Cascabel primarily to experience this, though it's a medium chilli and they have more flavour than most anyway.

I find it difficult to flame chillies with thin skins  - they either end up too raw or burned through.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

newspud9

• Half Acre
Re: Chilli skins inedible
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 08:20:16 »
Thanks for the comment.  I'll give it a go.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal