Produce > Kept Animals

Keeping chooks

<< < (2/2)

pumkinlover:
This is what happens when you are trying to put food in the feeder and they feel you are not quite quick enough  :toothy10:

lezelle:
Hi Ya, well have been waiting for them to say how much for the run. Got a message today from the allotment administrator saying tell him to take it. So 2 months down the road. I now have been asked to move it this weekend. Never rains. I have been doing some research and as yet undecided on what to do about chooks. By POL of ex battery. my mate on site keeps chooks and he gets them at POL for £8 each. Is that good. he also advised me to wait till spring as there will be new batches and the chooks egg production slows in winter. Happy with that as I have an operation pending. It will also give me a bit more time to confirm where I will site the run. Looking forward to it and it will only be 3 chooks as I feel the run is not big enough for 4 like they had.

Beersmith:
Several plot holders keep chickens on my field. One minor word of caution about this activity. Most, to their credit, are very careful about storing food and corn in metal containers and ensuring coops and runs are kept generally clean.  One, however, is rather sloppy about these issues and as might be expected has attracted rats, somewhat to the annoyance of his neighbours.

Unfortunately even the most scrupulous keeper will have to deal with this issue sooner or later. Coping with the occasional rat is pretty much an inevitable part of keeping chickens. Not much fun but a realistic part of the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version