Produce > Pests & Diseases

Problems with Manure again

(1/2) > >>

Digeroo:
This has not raised its ugly head for several years.  I believe that rain water causes less problems, so with the dry weather and use of tap water, we are again having problems.
My latest recruit to solve this is yoghurt.  The weed killer is supposed to breakdown because of bacteria in the soil.  But that did not happen, so I thought we had the wrong bacteria.  I tried to find out the right kind without success, so used an old tub of yoghurt.  I put 125gm into a watering can.  Watered round the plants they seem to recover quite quickly.
I believe the problem arrives with animal feed.  I have had zero success trying to work out where it comes from.

Beersmith:
I found your comment worrying, but I didn't understand some of the things you mentioned.

The original problem was caused by a herbicide called aminopyralid. This chemical was very persistent. It did not breakdown easily and was able to pass through the digestive system of both horses and cows and still be active after months of composting. However, I think it's use was then restricted so you would be very unlucky to hit the same problem today. Also plants did not generally recover whatever you used to water.

So you seem to be suggesting the same problem is occurring again but with a different herbicide.  Because you mention the chemical breaking down in the soil I suspect you are thinking of glyphosate, but you seem to be arguing the bacteria in your soil are not breaking down the chemical effectively until watered with yoghurt solution. Also you are not using it yourself but it is getting onto your plants indirectly from manure.

I'm not offering any opinions at this stage but simply trying to make sure I understand your argument. Is my understanding about right or have misunderstood your points?

Cheers

Digeroo:
The use of aminopyralid is restricted by a set of stewardship guidelines.  There is no way of knowing whether people are keeping to this.  There is no way of tracing back animal feeds to the field they were grown in.
I struggled with aminopyralid for some time (two full seasons), and found that rainwater was helpful.  As soon as it rained the problems started to disappear. 
I do not think it is a different weedkiller but have no proof. 
According to Dow, aminopryalid breaks down in soil, but we found this did not happen in our soil.  It took 18 months.  The second year I grew most of my crops on straw bales on plastic sheets.  It was only year three that I could grow things again.  I had a whole compost bin full of contaminated manure and it was not until I got the yoghurt onto it that I finally sorted it out.
I am not convinced I have been unlucky, the manure comes from the same horses and presumably the same animal feed supplier.  If someone in the chain is using weedkiller incorrectly it will continue to filter through.

I recommend that people do not become complacent and test all manure before use (bean test).  Never bury it.  I have been lucky due to a nasty cough I have not had any manure this year.  I had two compost bins of last years left.  But one plot holder has been badly affected. 

Last years was great, I even managed to root a couple of figs in it.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote --- If someone in the chain is using weedkiller incorrectly it will continue to filter through.
--- End quote ---

As I understand it the only changes were that farmers can still use it but they must tell anyone who buys stuff (hay/silage/Manure ) from them that they have used it on their fields. In the case of animal feeds this is then the responsibility of the buyer to tell people that the manure may contain weedkiller residue.

So basically it is all a case of pass the buck and you are in the clear.

Beersmith:
Thank you for the clarification.

This is most disturbing. It seems totally clear that aminopyralid is extremely persistent and far from breaking down in soil quickly it takes months or even years to degrade. Yet compost heaps team with bacteria of all sorts.

Once again corporate interests get priority over the common good. That it seems to be back in common use  with a meaningless code of conduct or  "stewardship" is deplorable. Nothing more to say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version