Author Topic: Runner Bean problem  (Read 2536 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Runner Bean problem
« on: July 08, 2018, 15:28:23 »
Having planted them out they soon got about 1/4 the way up the poles and then no further.  They have been watered and fed.  But progress has been very slow.  Has anyone any suggestions please.
No aphids.  No manure, we are having problems again but these beans did not have any.  Plants good colour.   
It may be the mole.  I keep finding holes.  The little critter seems to be diving between patches of soil which have been watered. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Runner Bean problem
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 16:29:01 »
Yes moles are a pain indeed.  Here moles have also been doing damage as no more than spot watering is possible, the worms retreat to any remaining damp spots in the soil and the moles migrate after them and dig up the roots.  Or cause cavities under the soil which means the roots can't extend downwards to find more water.

Now I am not going to insult you by saying that there are short runnerbean varieties, but it could be possible that the seed company had a mix-up between varieties. 

Do other people have particular difficulties with just runnerbeans?  Normally they grow fine but just don't set in weather like we are having.  Chances are that it is also this crazy weather responsible for your growing problem and that they really would need much more water.  I take it you have tried flooding them and then mulching to preserve moisture.  But with adjacent ground drying so fast, this is also only going to be of limited benefit.  I have 3 inch cracks in our soil inches away from plants that are regularly watered and of course the clay has set like concrete.  I have never seen it this bad.  A difficult year for many gardeners.   :BangHead:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 16:32:18 by galina »

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 14:23:07 »
My runners are doing well and although there are moles in the site, a few well-sited 'windmills' have helped stop them getting to my plot and a helping of ferret muck dug into their runs also seems to put them off.  The resident rabbits also moved out.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 15:26:13 »
I will get a windmill going and hope that deters the mole.  Ferret muck sounds interesting.  Need a ferret!!!

I thought about a short variety, but two have now started growing again and getting towards the top of the pole.  They are supposed to be Firestorm.  Rest still slow.

I grew Jackpot last year and they were supposed to be dwarf but quite a large percent went climbing.

I have Moonlight on my other plot and they are right up to the top of the poles.    Not had problems with beans apart from the contaminated manure years.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 21:31:25 »
My Moonlight on one side of the frame have been sitting low, producing multiple stems but not going up the poles, while the Scarlet Emperor on the other side (after poor germination) have reached for the sky and are flowering. I think the weather has had a lot to do with it.

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 06:36:17 »
I seem to have a different problem with my runners this year:  The plants are tall and full of flowers but they don't  progress into beans.  There are beehives close by and my French beans are giving a good crop, so no problem with pollination unless the bees prefer French to runners.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 07:28:34 »
French beans do not need bees for pollination.  Like with peas, pollination happens before the flowers even open.  Occasionally wasps bite into the back of the flower buds and can cross French beans, but bees are not involved.

Runnerbeans however, are notorious for not setting in hot weather, despite bees.  White and pink flowered runners are less of a problem, they tend to set better in hot weather.  :wave: 

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 14:20:10 »
My runner beans have blackfly. I don't want to use any chemicals, so I'm trying soapy water. Any other suggestions?

Also the beans have brown stripes along the sides, is this a symptom of the dry weather?  I have been watering them every other day.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 16:26:46 »
AnnieD, along the seam a bit of reddish stripe is normal.  Depends on variety as well, but not a sign of disease.  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 16:30:41 »
Runner beans however, are notorious for not setting in hot weather, despite bees.

On the rare occasions when we get 'long'dry periods;to  help the pollen set  spray/mist the flowers daily with clean water.

As Annie does adding a little washing up liquid to the water can also help the solution to stick better and also choke the aphids.

Also the beans have brown stripes along the sides, is this a symptom of the dry weather?

I don't know! and your suggestion is as good an answer as I could give....as I say I don't know

I hope that helps!...Tg

But my other guess is : I would expect them to be very stringy!

I never grow runner beans, or any flat beans for that matter for that very reason....round beans for me...and for an aside;  my french beans are not doing as well as they usually do this year my guess is poor pollen set! despite me spraying/misting!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 05:50:10 »
It is very dry here and we have problems with back door bees who drill a hole in the back of the flower and take the pollen but do not fertilise the bean, so I am growing Moonlight and Firestorm, both are supposed to have French bean genes and so are self fertile.  Some plants of the Moonlight are doing well despite the heat, but others the flowers are dropping off.
The Firestorm are still very slow but about 1/4 have reached the top, another 1/4 are nearly there, 1/4 are chest height and the rest still only knee high.  But I am finally getting some flowers!!
I also spray my bean flowers with water in the mornings.  It seems to please the bees because about 10 minutes after I finish three or four bees arrive.
I use the sprayer with the nozzle on jet, to power off the ants and the blackfly. It deters them but is not a solution and is very time consuming.   I have some nettle tea, but need to find a way of getting it strained off so it does not bung up the sprayer.  I dipped the tips of the blackcurrant bushes in the tea and that was very effective,  but not sure what the bees will think if I do it will flowers. I will try a couple of flowers to see if the beans set.
The ants seem to hatch the blackfly on the undersides of the lower leaves before moving them up to the flower heads.  They seem to be able to colonise the flowers very quickly.   

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 08:28:59 »
I.   I have some nettle tea, but need to find a way of getting it strained off so it does not bung up the sprayer.

Old jelly bag? Stocking tights ? Coffee filter papers ?
The ants seem to hatch the blackfly on the undersides of the lower leaves before moving them up to the flower

heads.   

Try bands, like little grease bands,  or sticky tape, glue side out.( Not tested)
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 11:12:48 »
The coffee filter sounds like a good idea.  No tights, haven't worn a skirt for years.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 14:22:38 »
So I dipped some of my flowers in nettle tea and noted which flowers.  This morning those flowers were caked in ants and black fly.  No that seems no use.  Back to jetting them off.  But I am loosing the battle.     :BangHead:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal