Author Topic: Hosepipe frustation  (Read 1429 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Hosepipe frustation
« on: July 08, 2018, 11:45:03 »
The person who leaves the hose pipe in a muddle never finds it in a muddle.
The person (another one)  who hogs the hose for two hours does not seem to realise that other people want a turn.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Hosepipe frustation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 11:49:00 »
We seem to have the same people on this site, as well! There must be an even distribution of them across the country  :BangHead:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 13:33:28 »
We have a rule on our plots although I guess most of the newer plot holders do not know of it, despite me telling them.

The rule is retired people should give preference to those people who still work for a living to use their hoses at the weekend, after all they (the retired people) have all week to water!

This rule was installed to cater for a situation where if two people were using a hose at the same time, the one nearest to the stop tap got water and due to very low water pressure the other one didn't.

Its not quite as bad as it used to be since the water authorities improved the water pressure / supply.

Perhaps you could put such an idea to all your plot holders!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 14:52:12 »
I hate the heat so I tend to get to the allotment about 6 am.  No one else around then.  Much of our water comes from ground water, so the pressure is very variable.  There were problems with the pump last year so pleased that seems to have been sorted.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 16:37:39 »
no hosepipes on our site its pumped by hand  so there is never a que. evenings  the pumps are a little more popular it works out around 1 pump per 30 plots  14 pumps to fill a 2 gallon can i think the plot holders this year are the fittest they have been in a long while  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 10:23:07 »
We really only use dip tanks but the pressure is now so low that we can empty one quite quickly if you use two cans..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:07:20 »
Hi Ya, hosepipes are banned on our site as well. The use of them encourages more use of water than required and some used hoses to fill water butts with them as spraying plants with cold water is apparently detrimental, it's like you being doused with cold water when warm so they tell me. We do have dip tanks and I have seen one use one of those wheel barrow things you fill up and he does it several times. I don't like dip tanks myself as I think others have dipped in there with weed killer, soil (it could contain disease), so I tend to steer clear but this year my butts are nearly empty so when needs must.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:10:27 by lezelle »

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 15:37:32 »
I used a hosepipe today - from my outside tap to the nearest water butt :BangHead:. Last night I used up the last of the water from the last of the six water butts. Sunday is when I feed the squashes, courgettes, beans, celeriac and sweet corn with chicken manure pellets so it has to be well watered in!

That's the second time I've had to fill a water butt this year :BangHead:.

Tricia :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal