Produce > Under Glass

Amazed !!!!

(1/1)

Tee Gee:
I have not been down to my allotment since Monday morning so when I went down this morning (Friday) I expected to see all my greenhouse plants looking very sad for themselves due to not being watered for four days, particularly with the hot weather we have been having of late, but I was quite amazed at what I saw...... see the pics below.

All I can put this down to is my soil preparation prior to planting out. The same applies to my outdoor plants they are looking quite perky too despite the lack of water and high temperatures.

But to be quite honest I am getting a bit sick of these high temperatures,I don't mind the sun but I don't like these high temperatures, they just drain me and I get nothing done, around 70° is fine for me!

Bring back the typical " British Summer" for me........sunshine & showers  :sunny:

lezelle:
Hi Ya. Looking good, I watch the people down the plot and either they are watering to much or not enough as they are on it every day. They say to much is not good. You have a sizable G/H then to have all that lot or do you have more than one? My carrots are outside and showing but not as well as yours. I water every 3/4 days and give them a good soaking, my G?H, only 10 x 8 I am in every day. I wonder if shade is needed, bit late now but after 30 years I am still learning. My show onions grown for the first time are looking good to me even though I was a long way past the curve. Fingers crossed as I am going to plant them out in the G/H this weekend. So much to do.

ancellsfarmer:

--- Quote from: Tee Gee on July 06, 2018, 13:12:52 ---
All I can put this down to is my soil preparation prior to planting out. The same applies to my outdoor plants they are looking quite perky too despite the lack of water and high temperatures.

But to be quite honest I am getting a bit sick of these high temperatures,I don't mind the sun but I don't like these high temperatures, they just drain me and I get nothing done, around 70° is fine for me!

Bring back the typical " British Summer" for me........sunshine & showers  :sunny:

--- End quote ---
The pattern of three hot days and a thunderstorm (preferrably at night) is fine , but at least this constant heat reduces the blight scenario. Generally the established plantings of potatoes, brassicaes,beans and tomatoes in ground are looking fine without watering here. Onions are drying off, bit smaller than last year. Garlic stored.
Lettuce, celery, celeriac,beet and carrots and all new plantings are getting the hose.
It is certain that the compost mulched no-dig beds upon the underlying clay which was absolutely saturated in April are proving to be life savers. As Arthur Fallowfield oft said, "The answer lies in the soil"

BarriedaleNick:
My plants in the poly suffer as I have everything in pots (which I will reconsider when I change the garden later this year) and 2 days is as much as the cucs will bear.  The chilis are really happy though.
Personally I love this weather and I can happily work all day in it as long as the temps dip at night.  Last night in London was warm though and more to come..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version