Author Topic: ZAATAR FILO PASTRY SAVOURY & SWEET LUNCH  (Read 1878 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
ZAATAR FILO PASTRY SAVOURY & SWEET LUNCH
« on: July 04, 2018, 16:34:35 »
ZAATAR FILO PASTRY SAVOURY & SWEET LUNCH

So since being introduced to Zaatar its flavours are such that you Can enjoy it with sweet or savoury......

Za'atar (pronounced zah-tar) is a Middle Eastern spice mix of thyme, sumac, toasted sesame seed, and sometimes wild oregano. Arabic for the word thyme, after the seasoning's predominant ingredient, za'atar has been used in Arabic countries since medieval times.

Tesco,Sainsburys all sell it.........

The fun thing about this Zaatar Filo base is its options to use just how you want it, the
 Baked filo sheets are so light and crispy

To begin with it was a sweet recipe but I’ve enjoyed it with so many savoury toppings
 It’s something I enjoy playing around with.

SWEET INGREDIENTS

6 ripe apricots, quartered (I’ve also used Peaches and Nectarines)
 3cm (1in) fresh ginger, peeled and grated on a micro plane (or less according to your taste)
 3 tbsp runny honey (Greek Herb Honey if you can source it)
 4 large rectangular sheets of filo pastry (cut into 1 foot square sheets)
 50g (1¾oz) butter, melted
 1 tsp green peppercorns, crushed
 2-3 tbsp za'atar
 400g (14oz) fresh ricotta, crumbled
 Spray olive oil. (use the spray oil for the in-between pastry sheets to cut down on fat)
 I only use Butter on the top and bottom sheets to get a crisp finish……..

So, let’s get to it……………

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. In a bowl, toss together the apricots, ginger and honey. Arrange on a baking-tray and cook in the oven for eight minutes, until just soft and lightly golden. Keep warm with the cooking juices until ready to serve.
 Place a 1 foot square sheet of filo on your work surface, brush with melted butter on the 1st sheet and sprinkle with peppercorns and za'atar. Top with another sheet of filo and repeat only spray this sheet with olive oil….. Do this until all four sheets are layered on top of each other with the peppercorns and za'atar sprinkled in between…..coat the Top sheet with Melted Butter …..now…. Cut the layers into 6 inch squares (or cut them as you wish)
 Arrange the squares on to a baking-sheet then weigh it down with another baking-tray and place in the oven for eight to 10 minutes, until crisp and golden.

now decide what you wish to use the Filo bases for................

Today the savoury topping we had was…………….

Zaatar and Crushed Green Peppercorn Filo Pastry bases with Crumbled Ricotta Cheese,
 Couscous with Raisins,Green and Black Olives,Roasted Tomatoes,Fried Mini Mushroom Slices,Beetroot matchsticks,Fennel Fronds and salads. And a quick extra sprinkle of Zaatar.

SWEET/PUDDING

Arrange your baked Filo pastry piece onto a plate, top with crumbled Ricotta Cheese
And a few pieces of the Apricot, drizzle with the Apricot cooking juices,   

Enjoy

Gazza

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal