Author Topic: Rain  (Read 12372 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Rain
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 16:09:44 »
Nothing here either.  Village 6 miles away had a short, sharp and very local shower last night :wave:

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 17:43:46 »
Had about an hour on and off this morning with thunder in the distance but it dried up very quickly hot and humid now
Barnsley S Yorks

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2018, 18:27:44 »
Went shopping this morning on my scooter and drove home through two minutes of wet mist - when I got there the patio wasn't even wet :BangHead:.

So, still no rain here in Torbay. Filled one water butt for 3rd time yesterday!

Tricia :wave:

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2018, 20:56:10 »
Had a 45min thunderstorm, gave 8mm of rain, lots of puddles on the path, but the lawn sure sucked it up.
Didn't have to water anything (except the toms in pots in the greenhouse) this evening then :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2018, 22:40:55 »
Nothing yet.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2018, 23:23:21 »
We had a shower, at long last!  Unfortunately clouds covered the moon completely :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 06:38:23 »
Blowing winds and heavy showers, just another summers day up north I suppose.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 09:51:26 »
Hi Ya, Rain,  woo eee we got rain, thunder and lightening and RAIN, 61 days with no rain and when I looked at the rain gauge this morning a quarter of an inch fell yesterday evening. Bit breezy this morning and temperature well down. Just has another quick quite heavy shower but not much, will visit lottie later after shopping with she who must be obeyed. But hay we got rain and one butt nearly full so I can treat my blueberries to some good stuff. Hope all are as pleased as me.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 10:55:08 »
Too late to do any good now.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 11:17:09 »
Too late to do any good now.

Pretty much my thoughts too!

Checked the barrel that takes the run-off from my garage and only got half a can full.

Add to that on the allotments  the Badgers are so thirsty they took my Sweet corn out on either Wed/Thurs so had to erect a fence around the remainder to protect it!

Its been a trying year so far, so much so that I am seriously thinking of making 2018 my last year on the allotments.

If this year is a sample of things to come i.e. the weather and  the wildlife's affect on gardening, at my age (a very fit 80 year old) I don't particularly want to learn how to cope with it.

Perhaps I will take up photography more seriously and photograph the wildlife and the weather effects instead! :sad1: :dontknow:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 11:26:08 »
Loads of dark clouds just passing us by here in Derby, until 7am we got a 10 minute burst of heavy rain. That's it it seems! Still lots of clouds streaming over us and cooler thank goodness, but I expect I'll need to water later on...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 11:45:36 »
We got the lot - I give credit to the Blood Moon and Murphy's law - I've often noticed that we always get clouds, rain or both whenever there's a significant astronomical event.

Murphy targets the maximum concentration of amateur astronomers for these events, and it's presumably round here - at the risk of insulting Brum, Glasgow and Sarf London, I think it's unlikely to be anywhere else...

It's not just astronomy either - the best way to stop any weather type is to put a lot of time, money and effort into systems that will protect you against it.

For example, if you put in big rain storage systems then that will mean a massive drought like this year that will empty them in a week or two.

Or it will do what it did after I put mine in (after 2006) and just do crap summers for 11 years so you don't need them at all.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 12:22:16 »
We  had a couple of showers in the night and a five minutes deluge during the morning.  Supposed to rain all day tomorrow. I hope no one cancels it.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 13:26:44 »
A few heavy showers here but we still need a lot more- which it looks as if we might get tomorrow. However my son and a group of friends are attempting the Three Peaks challenge (Ben Nevis, Scafell and Snowdon) in 24 hours starting at 5 p.m. this evening so I'm hoping the weather is kind to them- they hope to raise £30,000 for St Leonard's hospice in York.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 15:04:22 »
Hi ya, We are in the driest part of the country and though I admit to being a bit down this year, lost all my brassicas, bush French beans and runners not performing how they usually do I still enjoy the hobby and it's the little successes that please me like the best sweet corn so and my leek plants that I have delayed planting are the bet I've had. You can't give it up TG as you will need to set your camera where the wildlife is then show us the piccies. I musy admit I have 22 water butts on site and was getting very low and considering using the dip tanks ugh! Still I am so pleased I had the water ther and it has got me through to this point so happy. Need some good rain over the winter and hey presto we are back on it. This weather is abnormal and they compare it with 1976, I was at sea then so didn't experience it. The scare mongers will all jump the band wagon and profersise doom but hey people look to the future and smile. It could be another 42 years till we see it again. It has been a hard slog I admit and due to the heat have spent less time on the lottie than usual. I am pleased with the rain I will plant my leeks tomorrow and I am buying some brassicas, I know but needs must, and I am sowing some spring greens at home so there is stilla lot happening and my sweetcorn ears are showing so when ready to see my grandaughter eat it fresh of the plot, wee, what more can you ask, so cheer up fellow allotmenteers it's only a minor set back and we have seen worse. And we got rain yoo whoooo

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 17:45:30 »

You can't give it up TG as you will need to set your camera where the wildlife is then show us the piccies.

I am not planning giving up 'gardening' only my allotments.

Although this site is named Allotments 4 All I would not have thought that it would bar 'gardeners' particularly those with 'Allotment Experience' so I envisage still being around these'boards' for a long time yet!

Some of you may have noticed I do not talk or take pictures of my allotments as much as in the past and it is simply a case of " I don't enjoy going there anymore"

I always said to myself that if going to the Allotment become a chore rather than a pleasure I would give it up, and yes I now see this event as a 'chore'

You may have also noticed in my past correspondence I mentioned that I have gave up one of my plots and I moved an 8' x 6'Grenhouse into my garden at home.

In the meantime based on what I am growing in this Greenhouse and the coldframes that are now emptied of bedding plants and the like these make good growing areas for things such as salad crops.

I am currently planning on moving some Conifers in the upcomingAutumn months out of my front garden and replacing them with shrubs from my back garden.

Once this is complete I am planning on growing some vegetables in a decorative manner rather than the row or block arrangements I use on the allotment.

So as I see it I hope to get my Mojo back, still grow and eat fresh vegetables and not consider it a chore!

So this means I can go to shows, visit the country side and take photos as well, some of which I will deposit on A4A for those people that like that sort of thing.

So far as I can recall this is my 30th year on my allotments so I think that is a good innings and I think it is time for me to pull up the stumps and move to the practice nets!

That is the plan but only time will tell if it will all transpire!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2018, 15:28:22 »
Not as much rain as I had hoped for but did fill the water butt.  About five hours of rain but most of that quite light.  Only about 1/2 inch.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2018, 18:44:48 »
rain yes rain one night and 3/4 of today was at the plots this morning around 5:30 and it had already perked up my dahlias the whole place had a freshness about it however 45mph winds battered my sweetcorn i was half way through staking them when the rain returned shall return in the morning to finish
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2018, 20:41:17 »
Tee Gee,

Whatever keeps you happy is worthwhile! Make your decisions with confidence.

And please keep sharing the benefit of your experience.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 08:35:41 »
18 hours of driving rain, now the weeds will be happy, but like I said, too late for the main summer crops. Perhaps the winter brassicas and leeks will benefit but as I am moving plots this autumn and winter the new plot holders will have a few crops to carry on with. Can't really complain I have had some success, smaller yields but no lettuce unless I was growing for seed. Start the new plot wenesday so the ground might be a bit softer for a week before the heat dries it all up again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal