Produce > Under Glass

Strange

(1/4) > >>

Tee Gee:
Is anyone else having unusual growth patterns with their tomato plants?

My plants seem to be in good health apart from truss formation, I planted out compact plants rather than say 'leggy'plants and they have all grown on quite nicely except where normally I would expect truss formation every 8"-9" apart, this year they are well in excess of 12" apart, plus there are fewer tomatoes on them than normal.

OK I think the fewer fruits is down to poor pollination due to the particularly dry weather this year, but I can't think of why the spacing is as it is?

Usually when this happens I put it down to the plants have lacked light and have forced there way up to the light but this year the light has been particularly bright so it has me a bit puzzled.  :dontknow:

All I can think it is,and this is only an opinion; because the temperatures have been so high during the day the plants have become stressed despite regular watering  thus affecting the daytime growth, then overnight the temperatures have been over 60°F (16°C) and they have perhaps continued growing in the dark hence the "legginess" I just don't know. :dontknow:

Looks like I won't have my usual glut of tomatoes this year, then there is the other thought......these stresses may cause more 'blossom end' rot than normal meaning I will get an even smaller crop.

Anyone have any suggestions?

galina:
It may be the variety, as we tend to have cooler weather varieties and they may well be 'out of sorts' this year.  Heat isn't normally such a problem, but tomato fruit can actually get sunburn.   It may be a good idea not to prune as much as normal while this weather persists, to give the plants a bit of shading.  No doubt soon enough all will be back to normal.  :wave:

squeezyjohn:
My ones in the greenhouse that usually do well just aren't growing on ... despite having fresh soil this year and normal watering routine ... one variety is doing better than the rest, but they're all very short.  In stark contrast ... my outdoor toms which I always plant just in case we escape the blight ... are like a jungle despite having given them no water since they were planted out at the end of May!  Sometimes it just seems like alchemy ... the only good advice seems to be to grow everything and cross your fingers!

cudsey:
My tomato plants have not grown at all well this year they are only about 8 inches high I tried 2 new varieties to me this year so was looking forward to them the varieties are rosella and goldkrone along with gardeners delight so am a bit disappointed but I still have hope

pumkinlover:
I was only thinking how leggy my plants are growing this year and wondering why, similar to how you describe yours Teegee.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version