Author Topic: Might be changing plots  (Read 4206 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Might be changing plots
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2018, 10:57:53 »
only a few docks, and they look dead already

Docks can look very dead and still resurrect.   

Looks like a job for a digging hoe I prefer them to a strimmer.

I am also not convinced about no dig seems to breed stinging nettles.

Yes the dock seed will fall and start new ones, but by then I will be digging it over again. I have been cutting with the brush cutter, then a hard strim leaving it just right for a scraping with the Asian hoe, then a deep fork over. I know there will be plenty of weeds crowing again but when the ground is eventually prepared for planting I shall be getting most of them out. I have cleared about half the plot just making it look tidy really. I shall leave the no dig to the pink fir apple and black tomato brigade. Proper veg need proper digging.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2018, 12:50:12 »
With the cooler weather I am now 2/3rds of the way through the plot, Removed the designer fruit bushes today, (strange fruits but no crop to speak of)  that area can be made more productive with some sensible planting. I have noticed that the previous plot holders must have been hobby gardeners as only the top 3 inches have been tilled and the stuff they planted is only just holding on due to shallow planting.. There were also more grass paths than planting areas. I need a bonfire to get rid of all the old wood and rubbish, but it is still to dry to risk one yet.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 08:48:43 »
All dug and ready to go, needs a deeper dig really but it is still like concrete  underneath I will get down there after a few rains now the cap has been broken. Back to straightening up the other two plots ready for a handover to the new plot holders in the next few months.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2018, 10:24:26 »
Poly tunnel dismantled and rebuilt on the new site, feeling at home now, I want to start planting, I have a few options for the autumn, spring greens this week plus a bucket of spuds in the poly. Then I am away for about 3 weeks, back in time to start the broadies in pots, then onions and garlic. I have handed over one of my old plots early even though there are a few crops still on it. Oct 1st was the handover date anyway and as I shall be travelling around for a while I shall not be using them by then. The other old plot they will let me keep until xmas so I can use the seasonal veg still on it. Squash, sprouts, curly kale  etc. Then a big clean up to hand over or I shall loose my deposit.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2018, 18:57:38 »
needs another dig over now to clear the weeds, took me a month though, getting old I reckon.

pumkinlover

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 08:39:00 »
needs another dig over now to clear the weeds, took me a month though, getting old I reckon.

I shouldn't worry about getting old Ace because  the photo hosting website you have used has plenty of "young ladies from Russia" willing to help you, well actually according to the blurb they are interested in me in Chesterfield!!

ps you can post photos directly now, Dan abolished the charges a couple of years ago.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:43:42 by pumpkinlover »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 11:53:13 »
I did not know it was a charges thing, I thought it saved space or whatever they call it. I think our local hospital has taken up the Russian ladies on their offer, they are masquerading as nurses, but you can soon pick them out by their wrestling vests and hairy armpits.

pumkinlover

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 12:44:09 »
I think they must have come from a different website!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal