Author Topic: Might be changing plots  (Read 4212 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Might be changing plots
« on: July 02, 2018, 11:12:58 »
My plots are right at the far end of our site, getting manure and stuff barrowed in is getting quite a chore. I asked today what plots are free and the one near the carpark will be free soon. Perfect I can get my mate to back up the tractor and tip the manure straight on the plot. I have two plots not quite full size but I only need one really so this one is ideal and looking at it,  it seems I shall loose about 3metres as it is slightly longer than mine and I save £40 a year. It has a shed and some fruit trees but is very grown over since the last owner fell ill, But I know it was well tended up to last spring so it won't be too much of a mission to bring it back to rights. My main work will be rebuilding my fruit cage and moving my small poly tunnel.

lezelle

• Acre
Re: Might be changing plots
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 11:38:41 »
Hi ace, sounds like a no brainer. I am sure you will soon move what you need to. It will be good of you as well giving up two that means someone else can get on and enjoy our hobby though some times I wonder why I took it on. I have brassicas I want to plant but it's so dry. Still enjoy it mate and good luck.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 15:42:18 »
Yes and no.  From a work point of view definitely.  But a plot near to the car park must have more people traffic than a plot tucked away.  Hope nobody takes a fancy to your tools or crops, so close to the car park, Ace  If they have to carry their pilferings all the way, chances are that somebody will stop them or see something.  Right next to the cars that is less likely.  But if you have a small site with trusted fellow allotmenters, that's not a problem of course.  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 16:40:06 »
Small site, locked gate and looked over from a plot holder who lives across the road. Plus this is the Isle of Wight, everybody knows everybody. Can't get away with anything here, they even know we changed the colour of our toilet rolls.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 22:58:01 »
Sounds like a good move all round, saving £40 for a few feet less, better access and previously well looked after.....no brainer really. I'm sure you'll soon whip it into shape!😎
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 08:22:39 »
As a "plot traveller", 5 sites in 11 years!, I can confirm that a change is not a rest. However, I can see the advantage to you and wish you well. I presume that you have the advantage of retaining existing until the new is prepared, which helps. Good luck.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 20:55:57 »
Maybe keep the fruit and poly till later in the year when its a better time to move them and that gives you time to knock the other site into shape.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 21:00:15 »
Go for it. Cant go wrong   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 07:44:31 »
Shall not be moving all in one go, our rents are due in October, so one plot will then be given to somebody else and my bed with the brassicas will be given up at 1st January, I shall get my deposits back, but will pay an extra 3 months rent on one of them. Who ever takes them on will get a plot ready to grow and whatever crops are left mostly leeks and cabbages, a few established soft fruit bushes and 3 fruit trees. I will be taking cuttings, runners etc and have until xmas to move the structures. Unfortunately there are no exceptions, even for illness for the return of the deposit so the old plot holder has lost theirs which will be used as my rent up until october as the cost of clearing her site. She had fruit trees on there so I will hopefully be able to deliver a few baskets of apples, etc to her. There is also a scruffy part of the entrance bordering the carpark which I will clear and make a nice welcoming flowerbed, perhaps with a bench and some exotic shrubs which we used to use at garden shows, once the cuttings have taken.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 11:07:17 »
The committee has approved the move, as soon as it gets a bit cooler the clearing and redesigning the layout will start. There is a rope barrier along the carparks length which will have to go. I am going to grow a hedge, a blackcurrant hedge  which will feed the birds and give me plenty. I don't do permanent paths on the plot, just around the outside is enough so all the paths need chopping out. Recut the edges and gain at least 10 inches of lost plot all round. Loads to do. Bring it on.

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2018, 12:47:18 »
Photos please!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2018, 14:29:52 »
Hi Ya, go for i mate and keep us informed of progress. Some pictures will also help us keep our interest.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2018, 15:19:52 »
Sounds like a plan!  Yes photos please.  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 18:42:37 »
It needs strimming first.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 18:53:18 »
That looks fine, only a few docks, and they look dead already!

Could convert that to no-dig in a weekend.
 Might be planted with brassicaes before month is out.
If the ferry wasn't so dear, I'd happily lend a hand. Note it comes with a chair for each corner-now thats handy.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 20:13:14 »
NO DIG! Wash your mouth out. I like turning the soil, I like to see a bed that has been traditionally tilled. My allotment is a green gym. I have spent a lot of time turning down clients that wanted a 'low maintenance garden' when I was working. I used to tell them to buy a flat with a window box. But each to their own if you want no dig go for it. I would not feel right just tickling the soil.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 12:11:51 »
Started at sparrowfart this morning, Heaved my 1000lt water tank up from my old plot, Line down the side to reclaim some plot from the dividing path. Dug a bit, just turning it over dead grass and all. Built and filled a raised bed from the huge compost heap, tipping all the green gungy water from all the old containers into the bed. Then planted it up with leeks which have been hanging around in a pot for ages. Only one drawback, because it is near the entrance people want to stop and talk to me, they will soon find out I am a miserable old bastard  and leave me alone.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 14:33:22 »
Built and filled a raised bed from the huge compost heap, tipping all the green gungy water from all the old containers into the bed. Then planted it up with leeks which have been hanging around in a pot for ages"
So you have started for no-dig??

" Only one drawback, because it is near the entrance people want to stop and talk to me, they will soon find out I am a miserable old bastard  and leave me alone.
Best you start at Sparrowfart  minus 4 then!!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 21:57:54 »
Go for it!

Best wishes

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 09:48:54 »
only a few docks, and they look dead already

Docks can look very dead and still resurrect.   

Looks like a job for a digging hoe I prefer them to a strimmer.

I am also not convinced about no dig seems to breed stinging nettles.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal