Author Topic: Gooseberry fool  (Read 1282 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Gooseberry fool
« on: June 30, 2018, 18:21:58 »
I don't really like gooseberries, still have some in the freezer from last year.  Have given some away, but as they are they only thing growing on the allotment at present I picked 2 lbs, so off to buy some yogurt and try to make gooseberry fool. Wish me luck.   Anyone else have any good recipes, this one is Delia Smith, so will have to put the oven on for the gooseberries first. Dulcie is too hot so I do not want him on my lap looking at my typing. No pies, as my pastry is rubbish, even though mother tried to teach me, and I have tried many times, but it looks like concrete (not very nice).  :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Gooseberry fool
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:41:59 »
By chance, Jane Grigson's recipe is in a collection of summer recipes on The Guardian web site now: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/28/chicken-wings-tarte-tatin-nigel-slater-jane-grigson

A crumble (or sponge) topping over stewed gooseberries is good, and you can add an apple or even rhubarb or redcurrants to the gooseberries if you want a different taste.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: Gooseberry fool
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 10:58:55 »
Go for the pie - you can buy the short pastry if you don't have confidence.  I make mine in a processor - its great.  Cook the gooseberries with sugar ( you decide how much) and if there is a bit too much juice either pour away or thicken with cornflour.  Wait till it cools down and bung in the pie.  cook till pastry done (my AEG top oven takes about 25 minutes on 180 fan)   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal