Author Topic: Cutting back hardy geraniums  (Read 1681 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Cutting back hardy geraniums
« on: June 30, 2018, 11:31:49 »
My hardy geraniums are looking pretty sad and i'm thinking of cutting them back before I go on holiday next week . But would that be  idea when it's so hot?I'm away for a week so they won't get watered. I was thinking of mulching them as well.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Cutting back hardy geraniums
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 12:28:56 »
My hardy geraniums are looking pretty sad and i'm thinking of cutting them back before I go on holiday next week . But would that be  idea when it's so hot?I'm away for a week so they won't get watered. I was thinking of mulching them as well.

Personally I would leave them till you get back,I don't think watering them will matter (I never water mine) in terms of mulching I would leave this too. Let the tops act as a blanket/mulch it will also protect any new growth that may be appearing plus the conditions under the blanket will be somewhat sweaty so that should supply enough moisture. Then when you get back you could do what is ever necessary. Another thing is if you were to cut them back now and something went wrong while you were on holiday you would not be there to take any remedial action if this was necessary.

So my vote is......go and have a good holiday and forget about them....they are not called "hardy geraniums" for nothing!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 13:04:18 »
When Possum was at school and we had to have summer hols in July or August, I always cut the geraniums back hard, gave them a generous handful per square metre of pelleted chicken manure and a good drink.   Always came to renewed geraniums with fresh foliage but didn't have to look at the gap.
Obxx - Vendée France

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 13:35:06 »
That was my thinking, but a week's probably not enough!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 14:19:25 »
You'd still be a week ahead tho, not looking at stumps in a gap.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal