Author Topic: Monty's plant supports  (Read 2230 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Monty's plant supports
« on: June 30, 2018, 11:30:09 »
Every year Monty don shows us his plant supports made from bent metal rods. does anyone know where you would buy the rods and how much they cost?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Monty's plant supports
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 12:46:14 »
I use 'hoop iron' can't remember the exact dimensions but it is around 25mm x 3mm and it bends very easily. Allow about 2ft  for the verticals and add the width of the bed. (see pic below)

Example 5ft wide bed:    2ft + 5ft + 2ft = 9ft long

You should be able to get it at any metalwork company.

I didn't see Monty's bar but I guess from your description that they are reinforcing bars (rebar) and you would calculate the length in a similar manner to the above. I would have thought ¼" diameter would be sufficient and certainly no bigger than ½" diameter ( bigger and you might have difficulty bending it). You could again try a metalwork place or perhaps one of the bigger Building Suppliers.

Then again you could forage on a nearby building site.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 12:53:28 »
Just found this video (should have looked before posting) in which Monty gives all the details. 6mm steel rods, 2.5m length, as used to reinforce concrete, so apparently available from your local steel stockholder.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-make-steel-rod-plant-supports/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 13:02:04 »
We get ours from the builders' merchants.  I also use their wire mesh (for reinforcing concrete) as trellis.  Cheap, strong, bendable if needs be and the rusty colour makes it very unobtrusive.  Great for supporting pumpkins and soft cane fruits as well as roses, clems, honeysuckle.......
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal