Author Topic: Won't be planting them again.  (Read 2361 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Won't be planting them again.
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:41:59 »
Winston first earlies. You could say I have lost my marbles when I planted them, but I have found them again when I dug some up. There were 10 plants and then 10 plants of swift. The swift produced but the Winston are rubbish. Trouble is swift are not the nicest earlies, Winston had everything written on the seed packet I like about spuds, they just missed out the marbles bit.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Won't be planting them again.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 13:58:26 »
winston in my experiance need a hell of a lot of water there great in a wet year however a dry one indeed its marbles and you dont get many per plant when the get to a good sixe 5 or 6 at most but on a good year they are very tasty early baker  :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 15:26:35 »
I have grown Winston in the past with no problems.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 15:50:51 »
Hi, Never heard off of Winston, if you say they need water then this year has not been the best. I always grow Maris bard and they are lovely. Maybe better luck next year if you try again

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 19:27:25 »
I would never grow swift again. I grew them once but never again they disintegrated as soon as they touched they water in the pan?😂😂😂😂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 21:26:35 »
I grew them once but never again they disintegrated as soon as they touched they water in the pan?😂😂😂😂

Par boiled and chipped they are presentable, but boiled they are best used as wallpaper paste.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 15:45:30 »
I do think we must all remember that potatoes react very much to the soil they  grow in , what suits one garden will be awful in another. I made it a golden rule never to  recommend any variety as the best or even a good doer.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 14:22:49 »
There is also the matter of taste.  Someone gave me some potatoes and told me how nice they tasted and I thought they have a terrible metal taste.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 07:11:06 »
Oh !  I like to hear which varieties has been successful in other peoples veg gardens ! I,m fairly new to growing potatoes .
 Mine have only just emerged from the earth  after all this time, not tall enough to "earth up" yet  ! Do they need a lot of watering ?   
Trespassers will be composted !

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 15:33:39 »
Oh !  I like to hear which varieties has been successful in other peoples veg gardens ! I,m fairly new to growing potatoes .
 Mine have only just emerged from the earth  after all this time, not tall enough to "earth up" yet  ! Do they need a lot of watering ?   

July 2nd ?  You need to plant them a lot earlier. I try to put my spuds in 1 week before the last frost.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 01:04:26 »

July 2nd ?  You need to plant them a lot earlier. I try to put my spuds in 1 week before the last frost.

You can plant them now for an autumn crop of new potatoes.  The fastest first earlies will create potatoes within 70-80 days which takes you to mid-September if the weather is OK.  If you plant them in a pot you can move them to the shelter of a greenhouse if there's a blight risk due to rain.

wynrow

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 16:08:40 »
What do you all recommend as the best first earlies to plant now for autumn crop?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal