Author Topic: Any recommendations for a long genuinely non-kink hose  (Read 1794 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Any recommendations for a long genuinely non-kink hose
« on: June 26, 2018, 12:43:22 »
After spending absolute ages at the allotment unkinking my old hose to fill my water butt I have finally decided life is too short and I need to invest in a non-kink hose. It is its at least 60 metres from my water butt to the nearest water tap on the site so I need a pretty long stretch of hose and most seem to be sold in a maximum length of 50 metres.
Any suggestions?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Any recommendations for a long genuinely non-kink hose
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 13:47:05 »
The length is the problem I think. I've got a few black collapsable 100ft hoses, they do not kink at all,(off Amazon) but that's the longest, and I don't think you could join them together like a plastic hose..,
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 14:16:00 »
You can buy connectors that join two hoses.   I do this for when I need to get from the tap to the reel in the veg plot or round to the back of the house.  Works for me pending a permanent solution with more outside taps.

I bought a Gardena unkinkable hose pipe in 1991, just before we moved to Belgium, and it lasted almost 25 years but I did roll it up properly and stored it out of winter frosts.    It started to kink a bit in its last year and finally sprang a leak so we left it behind when we moved here.   

Pretty good going.

Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 14:25:34 »
You can buy connectors that join two hoses.   I do this for when I need to get from the tap to the reel in the veg plot or round to the back of the house.  Works for me pending a permanent solution with more outside taps.

I bought a Gardena unkinkable hose pipe in 1991, just before we moved to Belgium, and it lasted almost 25 years but I did roll it up properly and stored it out of winter frosts.    It started to kink a bit in its last year and finally sprang a leak so we left it behind when we moved here.   

Pretty good going.

see:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hozelock-double-ended-male-hose-connector/74767?tc=EB2&ds_kid=92700019785657746&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-nVyrbx2wIVxp3tCh2fZgVOEAQYAiABEgJhHfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CO2ViNK28dsCFWYD0wod6iIClQ

Copy from B&Q-verve @£1.50, in tasteful lime green
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 14:28:33 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 18:00:25 »
Saw this in a Gardeners' World email yesterday- don't know if it's of any help?

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/choose-tools/hoses-buyers-guide/

It also says there's an "on test" item in the July GW magazine, out tomorrow. (No, I don't work for them!)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 18:22:17 by caroline7758 »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 18:45:10 »

Pretty good going.

if you push a cocktail stick thru the hole to the other side trim the excess stick to the hose a dab of waterproof glue  job done leak mended as the cocktail stick get wet it swells seals the hole hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 19:01:27 »
Good tip for a young hosepipe but his one was cracking in slits.   Rubber fatigue.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 20:39:34 »
Good tip for a young hosepipe but his one was cracking in slits.   Rubber fatigue.
so its cane connectors to make cloches out of 2 canes 2.5 mtr  of  hose instant cloche hoop tada !     or the bin         
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 08:42:39 »
     or the bin         
Such extravagence!  Stopper- off one end and  lay out to produce porous pipe to trickle water a row or two.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal