Author Topic: Young Sweetcorn Damage  (Read 2084 times)

Tralfamadorean

• Not So New ...
Young Sweetcorn Damage
« on: June 18, 2018, 15:52:30 »
I plant my greenhouse grown sweetcorn plants through black fleece (in order to avoid disturbing the adventitious root through weeding). This year they have  been dug up and left over the planting hole. We suffer from badger damage but this is far too delicate for Mr Badger. It appears to be far too violent for birds - we have the usual population including crows, ravens, red kites and buzzards. Unlikely to be rats, mice or squirrels because the seed is left behind. I have got the wildlife cam out but nothing captured so far. Anyone have any idea what can be responsible for this vandalism. I will post again if I discover the source.

john

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Young Sweetcorn Damage
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 16:18:37 »
Mine have been cut down at the base - not dug up but equally dead.  I suspect foxes as we are in SE London - I think the young may be "teething" or similar so maybe they are pulling yours up too?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:32:21 »
Hi all darn souf, If they are planted in the greenhouse then how are they getting unless you leave it open all the time. If outside I wonder if it's hedgehogs as they will scratch around under the cover looking for slugs that may be hiding there. If you look closely you may find tell tale signs like their poo. I hope you find out soon.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 20:49:48 »
This is how I grow mine, in an 8x4 rectangle of old double walled plastic sheet from an old conservatory roof. Keeps the foxes off and gives them a bit of protection until they get going.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tralfamadorean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 08:36:49 »
Mine have been cut down at the base - not dug up but equally dead.  I suspect foxes as we are in SE London - I think the young may be "teething" or similar so maybe they are pulling yours up too?
That's a real possibility. I live in a rural environment, and although we get plenty of foxes they have never been an issue to date. A friend suggested that TCP would discourage badgers so I sprinkled some around the plants on the black fleece. They haven't been touched since - maybe foxes aren't so keen on the smell either. I will continue with wildlife camera and advise if I get any results.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal