Author Topic: Celeriac  (Read 1378 times)

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
Celeriac
« on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:53 »
What has happened to my celeriac, just stalk and leaves,
hope the attached pics work

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 13:09:03 »
Appears to have decided to run to seed- often caused by dry conditions/planted too soon.Is it the only one in the row that has done this?
 Celeriac is one of the more difficult vegetables to produce. A challenge!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 13:41:15 »
Thanks for reply, it has been in there a long time, bought it as a plant, have 6 all together, they all look like that one, cannot see or feel anything under ground, did not know it was hard to grow.
It looks good, all that greenery, :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 14:33:06 »
Thanks for reply, it has been in there a long time, bought it as a plant, have 6 all together, they all look like that one, cannot see or feel anything under ground, did not know it was hard to grow.
It looks good, all that greenery, :happy7:

To make the best out of your plant buy having run to seed, do harvest the leaves and chop and add to soup.  You get the flavour, even if you won't get celeriac this year.  :wave:

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 19:10:46 »
Thanks will try that, should make celery soup a bit more tasty, or put some in tomato soup.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 20:34:46 »
I really think you have done nothing wrong and have just been unlucky. The plants look pretty healthy to me although as ancellsfarmer correctly observes they are running to seed.

As well as running to seed after a prolonged dry spell celeriac often run to seed after a prolonged cold spell when they are tiny seedlings.  Many vegetables have a natural growing pattern of growing through the first summer then, after winter is over, running to seed in spring the following year. My own theory is that plants can be tricked by cold early spring weather into a state akin to going through the winter and as soon as latter that running to seed. Commiserations.  After several successful seasons growing celeriac mine failed to germinate at all this season.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 20:48:04 »
You could be right, can't remember when I bought the plants, but it was a while ago, and the weather has been crazy, cold, dry, hot, still they look good, would have looked better in the flower beds,

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 12:07:38 »
I was told by the Plot Elite in "Compost Corner" that celeriac likes water and not to let them dry out. To take the outside leaves away when they die off to keep the centre leaves and expose the growing root.  Not got that far yet.  Mine are going steady this year and I'm hoping that we the results are good.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal