Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 1582 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Tomatoes
« on: June 16, 2018, 15:13:45 »
Right after the pigs ear i made last year i need some help with learning what to do once the plants have established.  So i have two types of tomatoes some in pots growing up string and some in hanging baskets.

Help on cutting out side shoots etc needed and as simple as possible my brain is still recovering from mental gymnastics at the hospital this week :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 15:33:39 »
For the ones growing up string here are 2 pictures showing before and after removal.

Normally you do not bother removing them in baskets although you can take out a few to keep the plant tidy.

and if you want some more info look in here:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/T/Tomato/Tomato.htm

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 19:39:02 »
For the ones growing up string here are 2 pictures showing before and after removal.

Normally you do not bother removing them in baskets although you can take out a few to keep the plant tidy.

and if you want some more info look in here:

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/T/Tomato/Tomato.htm

tg i hope they were just for demonstration purposes a great gardener such as you would never leave side shoot to get that big or was it after a holiday lol :tongue3: :tongue3: :drunken_smilie: :drunken_smilie: :glasses9:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 23:02:58 »
This time of year there's always one bigger than the others - usually in the upward oxter (axil) of the last "big" leaf (ie. one that isn't smaller than the ones below).

You can get all the others before they get to 2cm, but this one will always make it to 4-6cm in the same time - never mind, it will root in water and make a good strong plant that will only be a bit shorter than its parent, and only a week or so later to crop.

Really useful for getting more from those "special" tomato plants you paid though the nose for.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 17:30:47 »
here on the sunshine coast we grow our tomatoes outdoors  and  they do seem to like the fresh air this morning these are coure du buere

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 18:22:50 »
tg i hope they were just for demonstration purposes a great gardener such as you would never leave side shoot to get that big or was it after a holiday lol

When they get to the top of the plant as this one was I often just leave them and take them off when I 'stop' the plant. But it made for a good example for demonstrating the task of sideshooting.

Johnny have you been spraying those plants or is that mildew I see on them?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 18:54:10 »
 :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
tg i hope they were just for demonstration purposes a great gardener such as you would never leave side shoot to get that big or was it after a holiday lol

When they get to the top of the plant as this one was I often just leave them and take them off when I 'stop' the plant. But it made for a good example for demonstrating the task of sideshooting.

Johnny have you been spraying those plants or is that mildew I see on them?

its a copper mixture early in the month we had a blight warning so i thought better be safe than sorry however it never rained so i sprayed in vain its looked like rain on several occasions it pours down at my dads which is 7 miles away but here not a drop  :glasses9: :glasses9: :sunny: :sunny:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 19:06:10 »
Thanks guys have shopped and cut back and uncovered some tomatoes :)

Just realised a small mistake which is that when i water the hanging baskets above the tomato plants there dripping onto the plants underneath so am just gerry rigging a carriet back under to catch the drips :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal