Author Topic: Watering pots  (Read 1519 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Watering pots
« on: June 14, 2018, 15:23:02 »
I have lots of pots in the garden and I don't mind watering them all.  However I am going to be away for 3 weeks in the summer and am worried my parents will.
Has anyone ever used any system to connect all the pots up to the tap to make it easier to water?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Watering pots
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 16:38:40 »
Yes - total pain in bum when I bought a fancy system for the toms in my greenhouse.

Ended up putting two hosepipes on a Y connector under a battery powered timer.  One led to a small sprinkler in the greenhouse and the other to a larger sprinkler at the back of the house.  I then gathered up all pots and troughs to sit in sprinkler range and set the timer to go off around midnight for 40 minutes every night I was away.   Worked a treat and was low tech and cheap and lasted years.   The timer is still good tho I Haven't needed it yet in this new garden and veg plot.
Obxx - Vendée France

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 09:56:46 »
What we do to make it easier for others, putting all of the pots together in one place. :sunny:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 10:05:45 »
What we do to make it easier for others, putting all of the pots together in one place. :sunny:
Yes that would help a bit, sadly not practical as there is not space to do so.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 23:11:22 »

Even better to bury the pots in soil - anywhere you can fit them in - any space between existing plants will do too - the shade will help them to survive drought - in emergencies you can hide them in between shrubs in a council planting -  guerrilla gardening. But it's best to do it early and water them for a few days so they get used to finding it below.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 20:18:52 »

Even better to bury the pots in soil - anywhere you can fit them in - any space between existing plants will do too - the shade will help them to survive drought - in emergencies you can hide them in between shrubs in a council planting -  guerrilla gardening. But it's best to do it early and water them for a few days so they get used to finding it below.

Cheers.
If only that were possible.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal