Author Topic: Watering Raspberries  (Read 983 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Watering Raspberries
« on: June 14, 2018, 08:34:04 »
Has anyone any suggestions on how to water raspberries?  Well water on site from well very alkaline.  The cabbages love it.   

Vinegar.  Found this suggested but need a cupful per gallon.  So this is very expensive since my watering can is 5 gallons and I can find nothing on time about how successful this is,

The yellow stuff.  Not sure of the ratios here.  Though presume the plants will like it.

Coffee, not sure of the ratios here either.   But have a bucket of old grounds.

Watering away from the plants so it filters through the soil before reaching the plants. Very wasteful of water.  But something else can benefit as well.

Taking water from home water butts, but can only managed 5 ltrs at a time.  It is a long way from car to plot.

Any suggestion would be gratefully received.   

I have been watering a new apple and a blackcurrant with nettle tea.  They each have a raspberry too close and I thought the watering would kill them but left them to see what happens.  So far they are looking very bonny better than the surrounding raspberries!!. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Watering Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 15:43:56 »
Can't be of much help as I never watered mine but I recall you are on gravel..
Coffee - just add to the compost heap.
The yellow stuff - I would water that down to 1 in 10 at least.
Vinegar - I presume to counter the alkalinity of your water?  That would need to be calculated or get some litmus paper and see how much you need to add to get back to neutral..  Vinegar can vary in PH so I would get some litmus (99p on ebay!) paper and just splosh some about.  You can get vinegar in bulk really cheaply..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal