Author Topic: rain  (Read 4914 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
rain
« on: June 13, 2018, 13:23:36 »
yesterday was our first rain for 8-9 weeks however it was very light and only lasted for a couple of hours all the grass verges are turning brown and its only the second week in june
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: rain
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 14:13:18 »
We have had 216cm of rain since the drought broke in mid December which, round here, equates to 2 years' worth of rain.   Not complaining and the plants are clearly loving it.

In the preceding 15 months we had 23.5cms.   Much crispiness and brown stuff.
Obxx - Vendée France

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 21:01:33 »
we had about 10 min by the time i brought something into the house it had stopped were supposed to get quiet a bit over the next two days but i am not holding out any hope.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 21:05:33 »
A peculiar story in my location.  A few wet days but overall some lengthy dry spells. So counting up dry days - yes a dry period. Except that one very stormy weekend an intense storm delivered considerably more than a months rainfall in about three hours. So total rain as measured by the rain gauge probably a bit above average. But so unbalanced not really very helpful to growers.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 07:50:45 »
Nothing in the night but a few spot about an hour ago, which joined up but only just.  Had hoped for more.  My raspberries need a little help to fatten up nicely.  There are still a few showers on the radar over Wales but I do not expect much from them.  Our next possible Saturday though I will not hold my breathe.

We had quite a few heavy T-storms a couple of weeks ago so everything still very green here.  It came just at the right time for my blackcurrants. 

But I dug some holes to plant out some beans and courgettes and it was as dry as a bone to the bottom of the hole. 

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:38:39 »
Hi Ya, We are the same as you johhnyco15 here in Bury. You are not far away from us. We have had a few spots but nothing to measure. I try to keep a record of rain in the back garden. Our grass is all brown and no rain this month at all. I have 8 water butts at home and they are getting low. I am watering like mad on the plot were I have 16 and the levels are going down drastically. We have had no thunder or anything it all seems to have passed us by. I have colleagues who live all over and they talked about heavy rain and thunder etc and nothing. I know we are in the driest part of the UK but it's dry even for us so far this month. We are supposed to get a bit of storm Henry this morning with wind and rain so here's hoping. When it does break I suppose it will forget to stop. Still can't win them all. Teach me for choosing such an exasperating hobby.  :happy7: Good luck all

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 13:13:45 »
storm henry has passed no rain just windy and cloudy suns out again now oh well back to the rain dance

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 09:03:35 »
Rain last night resulted in more or less nothing.  The rain patches on the radar right over us but nothing came out.

I have been banned from rain dancing.  Did one a few years ago and we got floods.

Seems its going to be hot during the week.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 11:39:54 »
Very light, gentle rain here in Torbay. If it keeps up all day it might do some good - and replenish my water butts  :icon_cheers:.

Tricia  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 12:23:03 »
Still waiting!

As I have often said I do not water outdoor stuff but silly me I broke the habit of a lifetime recently I watered my Leeks & Onions. Onions seem OK but not the Leeks. They look to have split  :BangHead: I am guessing..... but I am wondering if because I have watered them, they may have  put a spurt on and split as they became turgid, or sent up new growth.

Only time will tell what the final outcome will be.

Anyone any suggestions?

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 17:47:05 »
Just had a thunder storm although the lightning and thunder lasted a while we only had heavy rain for about 10 mins so dont think its done much good
Barnsley S Yorks

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 07:40:11 »
It has been dripping here for a couple of hours.  But very little has reached the ground.  I hope the plants absorb a little through their leaves.
There are a few drops coming into the water butt probably had a spoonful in total.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 10:18:36 »
Got a smidge this morning - just enough top wake the snails and slugs up but not enough to trouble the scorers..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 12:57:10 »
Please, tonight would be good. Not tomorrow though as hitching up the caravan.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 17:25:54 »
dark sky's however no rain  still crops not bothered

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 18:26:05 »
I shared Cudsey's thunder storm although I do believe we got some more over night based on the colour of the soil.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2018, 18:52:08 »
Have waited patiently 10days for 0.3mm !! Dust storms have covered the coldframe glass so will need to swill those , may have to irrigate if this keeps up. Could be worse,but benefitting from undisturbed soil under mulch.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 07:57:23 »
We go a bit last night  :icon_cheers:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 08:28:12 »
Hi Ya, Nothing here still dry as a bone. I was on the plot yesterday and dark clouds looked promising but to no avail. Did some watering to keep all ticking over. Some places have had some rain nearby but nothing to alleviate the dryness. Cloudy now but nothing and sunshine and high temperatures  forecast for later. Keep the rain dances going Digeroo. Good looking cabbage Johhnyco15 what variety? Happy gardening

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 09:28:04 »
A little bit on Saturday but no rain forecast for the next two weeks at least, according to the BBC. Quite glad I've given up my allotment- such a weird season this year!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal