Author Topic: Testing ‘safe’ slug pellets....  (Read 2587 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Testing ‘safe’ slug pellets....
« on: June 10, 2018, 23:00:19 »
So my starting pots of dahlias were getting massacred by slugs/snails so I have been using organic approved slug pellets every day. Each day the pellets have all disappeared and I thought that I had a huge slug problem. Until today when I saw a pigeon hoovering them all up!

So as long as the pigeon keeps returning, I’d say they are safe for other creatures....!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Testing ‘safe’ slug pellets....
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:46:28 »
Which  Brand/compound are you using? Do they kill molluscs?, or does the sight of a large grey bird make them run for cover!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:58:53 »
A cheap jar of instant coffee will be safe, the only trouble is it that it keeps the birds awake and singing all night. :toothy10:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:59:58 »
In your dreams!!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 13:37:47 »
Hi, I wonder about the safety if the birds are eating them. I to, like Ancells, wonder what they are and what the label says. Hope you have more pigeons than slugs now. Perhaps the slugs have left as the pigeon's have eaten all the food. Are they blue pellets? Blue is supposed to put all other creatures off them. Interesting. Would like to know more. Cheers

Metanurb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 14:17:58 »
A cheap jar of instant coffee will be safe, the only trouble is it that it keeps the birds awake and singing all night. :toothy10:

Maybe you're using the wrong coffee, "Mellow Birds" was quite popular in the 70s.  :toothy10:

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 19:56:19 »
Hi, they are the ferric phosphate ones that are sold as suitable for organic gardening, and as not harmful to other creatures. They are blue but that didn’t seem to deter the pigeons!

I have put the pots under mesh now as they were also nibbling the dahlia leaves, so the experiment has stopped. Pigeons still very much around today

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 19:42:02 »
7 days on- how are the slugs?

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 17:34:13 »
Well my dahlias are finally growing so think the slugs are under control. Must remember to put more pellets though as we’ve had some rain....Pigeons certainly seem alive and active still!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 17:37:24 »
i sowed some dahlias this year as it was an awful winter to fill in gaps as i leave them in however i only lost 2 so i planted them around my greenhouse  they are just starting to bloom and so are my zinnias
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 11:32:27 »
Hi, they are the ferric phosphate ones that are sold as suitable for organic gardening, and as not harmful to other creatures. They are blue but that didn’t seem to deter the pigeons!

I have put the pots under mesh now as they were also nibbling the dahlia leaves, so the experiment has stopped. Pigeons still very much around today

So they are an iron tonic for all our pests except slugs - talk about unintended consequences...

I have seen metaldehyde pellets disappear even in dry weather - I reckon the mice and pigeons use them to get off their faces! At least they might be less efficient thieves while hung-over.

I never put  metaldehyde on the ground in my garden (where I have friends - hedgehogs etc.) - I follow advice on this forum and put them in 500ml bottles - slugs seek them out but I'm not sure they would be as motivated by ferric.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal