General > News

Commercial Composts

(1/3) > >>

Tralfamadorean:
Is it just me or are the standards of purchased composts getting worse. I am sick and tired of sieving out large stones (rocks in some cases) and lumps of wood before use. This year I used westland and after sieving I estimate that over a third of the bags were useless. I complained to Westland and sent them the required information. They apologised, and refunded my money, telling me that this was an exception - no it isn't!!! They also told me that according to the bar code the bags I had purchased were two years old! I then moved on to Verve, who were good last year. It was exactly the same (my research shows me Westland appear to be about the only producer of these products in the UK, albeit under a host of different brands). Commercial composts are'n't exactly cheap, and if my experience is happening nationally then it is a huge scam. I looked to see if there is a British or European standard for composts but couldn't find one.
Anyone else had problems??  Anyone else with further information?

It drives me to utter distraction  :BangHead:

john

ancellsfarmer:
Jon,
Do you mean 'Professional' compost or that readily available from garden centres? Do you have a particular requirement for fine compost? I agree that the make-up seems to be different from the "Levington" composts of 30 years ago- no doubt the reluctance to buy peat has been instrumental in reformulation.
The (ever) increasing' need to recycle' green waste has provided a ready source of "compost"; placed on the market by processors at really low* prices for bulk disposal. Transport is the major input in compost costs. What other compost could be produced at an estimated price of 65p per 70 litres, allowing transport, bagging, producer and retailer margins and VAT to get to £3 per bag?
Personally I have settled on purchasing MP compost from Wickes (c £4 per bag) for 'best' planting, seeding (sieved) and Richmore from Morrissons @£3 bag for bulking with well rotted fym for potting on , starting beans and filling module trays. Have found well rotted twigs, small pebbles, bits of red brick but nothing untoward. Just use at base of a pot if lumpy.

*6000 tons @ £0.06p per ton, for collection only!!

picman:
Agree , Its difficult to know what you are buying , can look Ok and still be rubbish, whatever the price , I had wickes last year looked like shredded paper. This year Verve seems ok, Home base ... had strange look .. radish wont grow in it ?

DrJohnH:

--- Quote from: Tralfamadorean on June 05, 2018, 08:36:33 ---I looked to see if there is a British or European standard for composts but couldn't find one.

--- End quote ---

FYI:

http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/PAS%20100_2011.pdf

lezelle:
Hi Ya, I agree that some composts are awfull. The local council were giving some away from their compost area and I went to get only to find it was terrible stuff. I walked away. Some commercial products are just as bad i have found plastic and all sorts in some. I bought some cheap stuff and ended up throwing on my allotment. I know a lot of people avoid peat but for seed sowing I like to use Jacks magic, has a peat content but then I will use cheaper stuff to bulk up planter and tubs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version