Author Topic: My perfect soil has developed a "skin". What to do?  (Read 1754 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
My perfect soil has developed a "skin". What to do?
« on: June 03, 2018, 21:35:14 »
I have very carefully prepared a bed over a couple of years nurturing it with compost, manure, and de-stoning etc.  in order to end up with very soft soil that I could use in particular to grow carrots which had always defeated me.  All was going well and I sowed my first row 2 weeks ago.  However, a few days ago the surface of the soil has developed what I can only describe as a skin.  On a trial section, if i use my hands it can rub back into a really good physical structure.  But that will of course disturb the sown seeds.  Not too sure how to proceed other than to hope the seeds will germinate successfully.  Comments most gratefully received.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: My perfect soil has developed a "skin". What to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 22:26:56 »
The crust develops when the top soil layer dries out in the sun. Regular watering usually allows seedlings to grow through it.

Perhaps next time you have a hot spell, you could sow in a groove filled with bought compost.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:07:59 »
Thanks very much for the advice.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 14:07:32 »
It's likely to be because of heavy rain followed by a hot day - a quick hoe normally sorts it out.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 21:48:45 »
You are not alone.  My soil is good but rather light. Heavy rain followed by a couple of hot days causes my soil to crust too. Easy to break up with a hoe where nothing is planted. But It is a great nuisance when trying to germinate small seeds as it makes it very difficult for them to break through the surface..

I have two main tactics.  For beetroot, chard and similar I start them in modules and plant out when a couple of true leaves have formed.

But this doesn't work for carrots and parsnips which really have to be sown directly to avoid forked roots. I sow both in very shallow thin drills and cover with vermiculite rather than soil. Vermiculite is light, retains moisture well and will not form a crust.

Generally it works well, but it is not foolproof.  A few days back we had an extremely intense storm and it dumped about a month's rainfall in an hour. The rain was hitting the ground with incredible force. It overwhelmed the vermiculite and caked over a couple of rows of carrots. Luckily a couple of rows sowed earlier germinated well as did my parsnips. I will sow more carrots for succession.

If a crust does form try to keep the surface damp without being too wet. This will usually allow some seedlings to get through although the row may be patchy.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 21:51:44 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 18:58:34 »
Lots of useful tips.  Much appreciated

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 08:20:39 »
I read of a method they use in Africa where capping is much worse - they water the seeds in then put a plank over the drill to keep the moisture in.

Obviously they have to be checked every day in the second (?) week, and in our climate slug pellets are essential before germination or you'd never see anything.

I've used sheets of glass laid flat in a similar way to protect onion sets if I was going away - never lost a single one to birds, very little slug damage and the shoots would straighten and point upward within 48 hrs of removing the glass (even shoots 30cm+ long), but you couldn't skimp on pellets for carrots under damp glass!

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 21:10:02 »
With clay soil that's normal whatever the weather does!

Most things break through, and hoeing round the rows gives access for the water.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal