Author Topic: Dithane ban evaded  (Read 2390 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Dithane ban evaded
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:39:35 »
It seems that Dithane has risen from the grave.

Changing the name by adding 3 numbers shouldn't fool anyone, and if it really is a different molecule, well, that just means it's going to have its own ban in a few years when its own problems emerge from the woodwork.

Does it still make your tomatoes taste of rotting cabbage?

I've tried to Google a simple list of approved "plant protection" substances and their initial approval date. It just leads you into a maze...

I'm relying on my memory - it tells me that nothing synthetic has lasted more than 10 years, if so why the endless optimism about new ones? eg. Benlate really was non-toxic straight from the packet - until its dire effects on pregnancy appeared.

Cheers.

PS. Copper has been used since the 1840s - it's only real problem is that its profits are too small. There are thousands of imaginary problems - despite the fact that it is a normal constituent in soils and it's essential to mammals in quantities comparable to your exposure from tomatoes, never mind potatoes. It doesn't really work in a bad blight year - but Dithane didn't work in a bad year anyway.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Dithane ban evaded
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 13:46:30 »
The answer surely is not to use any chemicals.   
Obxx - Vendée France

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 14:38:34 »
What new Dithane numbers? 

The RHS says
Active ingredient Mancozeb
Brand name(s) Dithane (This active ingredient has not been withdrawn but the product/s containing it are no longer being marketed)
Main use Various diseases
Last date of use Not applicable

So it looks as if it never was banned, last date of use N/A so old stock can be sold and used - should you really wish to  :cwm10:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 15:33:16 »
For me, the whole point of growing my own is to know that no unseemly chemicals have been applied and thus will not be ingested by me or my family or any wildlife.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal