Author Topic: Just for fun  (Read 4296 times)

nodig

• Half Acre
Re: Just for fun
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 19:59:23 »
ancellsfarmer has come up with perhaps an even more radical solution to unkept plots than mine - that being dropping completely the idea rights to tenancy of the land replacing it with 1 year land 'lease', with each plot holder having to re-apply when their one year lease has expired.  One slight problem with this is that the committee members would also have to re-apply every year so you would probably need an independent 'office' to deal with the paper work.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2018, 20:59:31 »
I have been reading this thread with interest and have come to the conclusion that in the main it is "Privately owned Allotments" that are being discussed here and not "Local Council owned Allotments"

I have a "Council owned plot" and when a plot is taken on the Council send you a letter with a number of 'rules' on it. These are very basic rules where most of them are basically "Common Sense" and one of the rules is in regard to " Plot Tidyness"

So would it not be a simple matter for the owners to draw up a "Site Constitution " on a pro-forma with a few do's and dont's on it i.e. a list of basic rules and conditions.*

Then when a new tenant comes on board they are issued a copy of this pro-forma which they sign for, and a copy is given to the new tenant and the carbon copy is held by the secretary.

*If necessary these rules can be adjusted from time at a general meeting and all tenants would be given a copy of the new pro-forma.

This means that all tenants are similarly informed so they have no argument if they contravene a rule/s.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 22:43:11 »
ancellsfarmer has come up with perhaps an even more radical solution to unkept plots than mine - that being dropping completely the idea rights to tenancy of the land replacing it with 1 year land 'lease', with each plot holder having to re-apply when their one year lease has expired.  One slight problem with this is that the committee members would also have to re-apply every year so you would probably need an independent 'office' to deal with the paper work.
Perhaps I have led you to this conclusion but my suggestion only intended to provide a scheme to utilise on a short period basis, the unlet plots (for which no rent had been received). A plot does not become "overgrown" in weeks, its a result of inadequate care for a season or more. It would be unreasonable to expect reclamation for a few months use. Established plots should permit ongoing cultivation of fruit and perennial crops, there was no thought that this should change. It could be thought that a general reduction in 'nasty weeds' in the entire site would also reduce 'rewilding'. This might involve the landowner contributing resources-such as pigs!. I do like pigs.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 11:16:01 »
I can assure you that a plot can become overgrown in weeks.  It is truly amazing how fast the weeds grow.   

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 13:41:26 »
Annual , airborne, weed seeds may get a headstart ,but would be reasonable for the 'interim' tenant to control as part of maintenance. My scheme would be to remove all perennial nuisance weeds to beyond the boundary. This means couch, nettles, brambles, marestail,ground elder etc. Farmers and councils are generally licenced to apply suitable substances. Get rid of all those odd corners harbouring such, and ensure that any detected are removed beyond the plot. No mouldering compost with these in, take to the council greenwaste bins. Finished.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 15:17:25 »
Believe me ...they can become covered in perennial weeds in a couple of weeks if you live next door to a completely abandoned plot like I do.  I had almost completely cleared my plot of nettle, creeping buttercup, horsetails, couch and was on top of the bindweed last year ... during the two months of snow and wet ground that meant I was unable to get in there and work the ground ... they had spread their roots under the fence and invaded more than 10 foot my side engulfing 2 raised beds with huge growth with the hot weather at the end of April.  I couldn't believe how far the roots had traveled.  I've had to completely dig the beds out again ... much more than a little bit of hoeing - there were tons of roots.

I find this intolerant attitude that permeates this forum a bit off-putting really, people have real lives, they get ill or can't cope for short periods of time for plenty of other reasons ... maybe in your easy-street urban allotments at full capacity with running water and a shop there's an argument for clamping down on people not looking after their plots properly, but maybe next time you fancy making blanket statements you think about others might be in completely different circumstances to yours.

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 07:57:22 »
You must understand squeezyjohn that your neighbours weeds encroaching on your plot is just part of evryday life on allotment sites - just live with it I say.

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 08:01:51 »
Even better have you offered to help him clear his plot of weeds, I am sure he would appreciate the help?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 09:10:19 »
As mentioned elsewhere my OH has taken on a new plot this year - on a self run council site.  A well run one too.
When you take a plot on they will, if you like, plough it for you with a rather elderly but functional tractor.  Natch we declined this offer and dug it over and we are glad we did as we have removed endless buckets of bind weed, couch grass etc. Still it is a nice idea and they plough some of the plots belonging to some of the more infirm members which is great for annual weed removal..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal