Author Topic: Sweetcorn cross-pollination  (Read 1486 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Sweetcorn cross-pollination
« on: May 31, 2018, 13:23:22 »
I sowed all the seeds from my packet, ended up with 20 plants. 2 weeks after planting out, 5 have failed. I was thinking of filling in the gaps with some plants bought from the garden centre, but I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't mix varieties, as they will cross-pollinate and the cobs will not be good.
Can anyone advise please?
My variety is Earliking - a normal sugar not supersweet
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Sweetcorn cross-pollination
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 13:46:36 »
I don't think it matters.  The RHS even advises sowing 3 varieties for a succession of cropping - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/vegetables/sweetcorn

Obxx - Vendée France

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 14:00:00 »
Thanks Obelixx.
That article says "It is best not to grow these Supersweet types next to other types as cross pollination can result in poor flavour"
So that must be what I have seen, but I assume it doesn't apply to normal varieties.
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 16:37:53 »
Sorry.  Can't help with that.  It's not really a crop the Belgians and French seem to grow except for cattle and that's a whole different ball game.   That means local varieties for sowing are limited.   I have 21 plants from a single packet of Zenith Hybrid F1.  Never tried it before but am hoping for a good crop this year cos of all the rain we're having.

17 month drought ended in mid December and meant last year's sweetcorn was late to form, had uneven nib production, was tough and not at all juicy.   Ended up on the compost heap apart from the cobs which I put out for the birds before composting.
Obxx - Vendée France

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:08:29 »
Thanks Obelixx.
That article says "It is best not to grow these Supersweet types next to other types as cross pollination can result in poor flavour"
So that must be what I have seen, but I assume it doesn't apply to normal varieties.
This will only have an effect if you want to save the seed for next year.  :icon_cheers: :coffee2:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal