Author Topic: What's the opposite of a tomato?  (Read 1727 times)

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
What's the opposite of a tomato?
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:19:54 »
On this unusable day (for gardening) I just read Miles Kington's saying: "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

It occurs to me that Yacon ("the underground pear") is the opposite - or nearly, since it is fine as a vegetable too.

Jicama is also supposed to be dual purpose, (though I've never tried it - two packets of seed from T&M in the 90's - carefully sown and mollycoddled - produced absolutely nothing for me).

I did succeed with Turnip Oasis (initially) - it really did taste of melon - but all sowings since have been disappointing - it needs to grow fast, and the more I try to do this the more fleabeetle I seem to get. I should use fleece but it's such a faff.

Is rhubarb the only one never used as a vegetable? I sort of discount it because it's not nice raw.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: What's the opposite of a tomato?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:41:08 »
Pork and rhubarb is nice.

Since the weather conditions appear to be more or less perfect for rhubarb I might give it a try.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/165351/pucker-up-with-these-9-savory-rhubarb-recipes/

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 16:41:39 »
Great question!!!  Especially, as you say, on a day like this!

Given that traditionally most opposites are not the most different things you can think of (black and white are normally said to be opposite, but they are both colours) - but instead the most extreme ends of a spectrum, I would say that the opposite of a tomato is a potato ... the plants look very similar - but one gives you something red, sweet and refreshing to eat raw above ground ... and the other gives you something white, starchy and earthy to eat underneath.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 21:31:07 »
And it's only the hairs on a gooseberry that stop it from being a grape.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal