Author Topic: HELP!! PIGEONS IN MY GREENHOUSE!!😡😡  (Read 3172 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
HELP!! PIGEONS IN MY GREENHOUSE!!😡😡
« on: May 29, 2018, 08:26:17 »
At the weekend a pigeon walked into my greenhouse and started to fly around. It landed on a couple of seedling trays and created havoc!! My nurtured seedlings were knocked to the floor😡. I had the door open because it was so hot.
I was wondering is any of of you have any practical suggestions for a type of screen that will let pollinating insects in but keep the pigeons out.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: HELP!! PIGEONS IN MY GREENHOUSE!!😡😡
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:41:48 »
How very annoying!  I get the same with pigeons and voles.  Do you have a roof vent?   And a mosquito screen across the open door?

The good news is that tomatoes don't need pollinators, which is what most people grow in their greenhouse.  Ditto the modern type of cucumber. 

As you say it was seedlings that were destroyed.  That may no longer be a problem once the seedlings are planted out.  Good luck 

It does not have to be mosquito screen, a much coarser netting would do for pigeons.   :wave:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:45:02 by galina »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:14 »
Netting is the simple answer but which one?

As galina mentions one type is good for this and another for that, you  might get more ideas by looking at these different types of nets.

http://www.knowlenets.co.uk/

Then from days of yore: you could  use strips of coloured plastic or strings of beads hung from the top of the door frame, meaning you can walk in and out but it would generally deter birds and animals.

Only a thought!

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:21:06 »
Go to Wilco's and get some 2" square plastic netting role.  :icon_cheers:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:55:42 »
How about a bamboo curtain, I got one for 20 quid for back door.  Only just stopped a pair of  pigeons from making a nest in the wisteria, right next to the back door, very persistent pests. 

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 13:23:07 »
place a plastic hawk on top of the greenhouse should work a treat and keep them from the surrounding area hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 13:26:06 »
place a plastic hawk on top of the greenhouse should work a treat and keep them from the surrounding area hope this helps
£7.89  @ amazon with free delivery
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 15:23:50 »
I have often got birds in the greenhouse they fly in the vent or the door have taken to leaving trays on floor when i can as there has been so much damage on the start.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 17:53:25 »
Remind me of a similar experience with a cat.

I must have unknowingly shut my greenhouse door for the day not realising I had shut a cat in.

The following morning as I opened the door there was a scurry and things went flying everywhere as the cat tried to get away from me in the doorway.

Now being a greenhouse it was glazed from floor to ceiling and the cat must have looked through the glass thinking it was a way out not realising there was a pane of glass in the way.

So yes you have guessed it ...it dived through what it thought was an opening and went straight through the glass which was around 5ft high and 2½ft wide.

Now I was not pleased but I had to laugh because it reminded me of watching a cartoon where the escaping animal leaves a silhouette of its shape as it dives out of the glass, this cat in fact did just that!  I thought this was impossible till I saw it with my own eyes and yes I could roughly see the shape of a cat in the remains of the sheet of glass, and no I was not on the  :occasion14: and to this day I can't figure out how such a thing could happen  :dontknow:

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 19:32:51 »
Too funny Tee Gee and Ancells😂😂😂😂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal