Author Topic: feeding garlic  (Read 1431 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
feeding garlic
« on: May 25, 2018, 19:31:49 »
I have grown garlic for several years with reasonable results without feeding but I have read that now is a good time to add some fertilizer. I have given them one feed with liquid seaweed. I know some of you get excellent results so would welcome your comments.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: feeding garlic
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 19:40:52 »
I usually do this

Week 12:

Rake/fork in a top dressing of nitro chalk or any high nitrogen fertiliser at 60gms/sq metre (2oz/sq yd)

Keep the area weed-free, garlic is shallow rooted therefore it will suffer if the competition for water and nutrients is too great.

But as it is now Week 21 you could try Nitrate of Soda as it is acts faster.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 21:42:31 »
I usually give a sprinkle of Blood, Fish and Bone in early spring when growth starts, 3 or 4 weeks ago this year.  This is a slow release fertiliser that keeps garlic going until harvest.  Garlic appreciates a bit of fertiliser, but is not a greedy feeder like squash/courgette or cabbages etc. 

I think more important than fertiliser (if the ground is in reasonable health) is to make sure that there is enough moisture when the cloves are getting bigger in June.  Often at this time it is really getting dry.   Moisture does make a big difference to the harvested weight.  Not that small cloves are a problem and they still store well too, but they are more fiddly in the kitchen   :wave: 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 21:44:19 by galina »

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:26:00 »
I usually do this

Week 12:

Rake/fork in a top dressing of nitro chalk or any high nitrogen fertiliser at 60gms/sq metre (2oz/sq yd)

Keep the area weed-free, garlic is shallow rooted therefore it will suffer if the competition for water and nutrients is too great.

But as it is now Week 21 you could try Nitrate of Soda as it is acts faster.
Thanks Tee Gee. Never used either of thos fertilizers

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 10:31:42 »
I usually give a sprinkle of Blood, Fish and Bone in early spring when growth starts, 3 or 4 weeks ago this year.  This is a slow release fertiliser that keeps garlic going until harvest.  Garlic appreciates a bit of fertiliser, but is not a greedy feeder like squash/courgette or cabbages etc. 

I think more important than fertiliser (if the ground is in reasonable health) is to make sure that there is enough moisture when the cloves are getting bigger in June.  Often at this time it is really getting dry.   Moisture does make a big difference to the harvested weight.  Not that small cloves are a problem and they still store well too, but they are more fiddly in the kitchen   :wave: 
Thanks Galina. I do use f,bandb early, sometimes before planting. I have been better at watering this year. We have had a very dry May. Looking forward to harvesting as last year's are sprouting now. I like to pull some early to use the green stems as they have a more subtle flavour and are easier to prepare.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal