Author Topic: Beetroot  (Read 2049 times)

lezelle

• Acre
Beetroot
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:22:51 »
Hi ya, while watering the greenhouse I started thinning my beetroots growing in modules. It started me thinking, as I have some gaps, is it possible to replant the seedlings and will they take? So I thought I would ask has any one tried doing it and how successful were you? Happy gardening

pumkinlover

Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:11:42 »
I have tried it with moderate success.
Will need to water in well and may get funny shapes though.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:40:48 »
I just let them grow in clumps.  Saves a lot of faff.  I also tend to sow in modules which makes it easier to control seed density and thus clump size and get the babies big enough to cope before going in the ground.
Obxx - Vendée France

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:59:53 »
Hi Ya, Interesting, do you let them grow to full size or treat them as baby beet? I will give it a go as it is a faff thinning them. Cheers

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 15:01:06 »
I will give it a go as it is a faff thinning them

Consider buying a 'monogerm' variety next season and then you will only get one plant per cell!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 20:25:22 »
Generally possible to transplant beet  thinnings if you can lift them without breaking the tap root. Need to water in and be patient. They will flag and sometimes look as if you have murdered them. In some seasons , a high percentage will run to seed. Nothing ventured=nothing gained!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 22:38:18 »
Lezelle - It depends.  Sometimes small and sometimes big. 

I never pickle beetroot.  It goes in soups, salads, curried with onions, tomatoes and cumin, spiralised occasionally and beetroot relish from time to time.
Obxx - Vendée France

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 15:31:17 »
all theses beetroot have been transplanted some split and replanted to finish a row  hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 16:15:30 »
Hi Ya, It certainly gives me an edge Jo15, I will give it a go myself now and follow your lead. Cheers

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 11:20:37 »
I transplant them all the time and they generally do fine but I grow the long ones - Alto is the variety I think.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 14:08:45 »
Hi Ya, I had a few misses in my modules but I am trying bolthardy and cylindra. Cylindra is a tall variety. I can but try

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 07:32:13 »
I cell sow, direct sow and split up from open trays... the last method is least successful but still has a good 75% take rate. Beetroot is great pickled, just boiled or grated in salads (raw) I grow red, purple, white and yellow... Choggia is fun but the beet turn a pinky/grey when cooked which isn't appealing.. and if you have too many seedlings the leaves go well in salads...

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 21:38:26 »
To me it seems a rather time consuming and unreliable thing to do when starting the beetroot in modules. Beetroot in modules always seem to germinate well so why not try an easier approach and simply add one extra seed to each module. 

Most beetroot seeds will throw up several seedlings anyway. Mono varieties excepted of course.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal