Author Topic: growing potatoes on black plastic  (Read 1493 times)

nodig

• Half Acre
growing potatoes on black plastic
« on: May 23, 2018, 19:19:01 »
So I have planted potatoes in clean soil which I barrowed in on top of a sheet of black plastic (covering some nasty deep rooted perennial weeds) - never done it this way before and can't find any mention of doing this on the internet.  Predictions please - doomed to failure or the best idea since sliced bread?

Pescador

• Hectare
Re: growing potatoes on black plastic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 19:33:03 »
Where's the rainfall going to drain? How deep is the soil on top of the plastic?
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 19:49:02 »
I put a full barrow load on each potato.  I may add more later on.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 19:55:58 »
i grew potatoes one year in straw covered by black plastic i put holes in the plastic to let the stems out it worked very well
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 20:27:24 »
You did say ON TOP of the plastic with a barrowful of soil to cover them is this correct?

Like Pescador I am concerned about drainage particularly if your plastic is on a hollow rather than say a mound.

My advice would be puncture the plastic in a few places say at least one hole either side of where each tuber is placed.

Other than that I would say you should be OK! I suppose you could say they are effectively in a very big plastic bag which is a fairly common way of growing potatoes ( but these bags usually have drainage holes in them)hence my suggestion!

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 20:34:05 »
The land is flat and on the Norfolk coast where the rainfall is half that of say Wales.  Farmers around here often use sprinklers on potato fields after a couple of dry hot weeks  I agree that it is in effect a very large plastic bag and to put puncture holes in is a good idea. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 07:13:09 »
I have also used straw bales on plastic and grown everything.  My soil was contaminated by weedkiller so I wanted to ensure no contact.  Potatoes, beans, courgettes all grew well.  Needs a lot of water and fertiliser.

Is the plastic the type that drains, how will you get it out again if covered in soil.

But a great idea, I am suffering from stinging nettles.  So will get some bales.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal