Author Topic: Getting there slowly  (Read 1613 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Getting there slowly
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:26:44 »
Hi All,

Well for once i feel that i am starting to get there with the garden, gardener needs to come and finish a few bits but then i am more or less done in the garden plant wise this year.

The greenhouse is steaming along and whilst i still need to work out an automatic watering solution thats going to be my winter project :) still having chilli germination issues, trying again now with fresh seed.

The planters are now finally in place and will be growing beans and peas up the backs of these soon (once i get some to germinate) :)

New planters on back of garage with my clare austin climbing rose in one and blackcurrant/gooseberry in the other are starting to do well :)

The pond is finally no longer green soup and whilst we need to get a little more equipment for that were happy that its looking better, although all the plants have had to be removed from the inside of the pond ! Due to the fish digging them up and causing a mess ! Once were happy that things are in place having handy man making a proper lid for the electrics with marine ply and a proper rest for the waterfall (its just ply at the moment and will not make it through another winter.

The vegi trugs are looking happier now i have topped them up with more soil as they have settled from the ton and a half put in last year.  Carrots finally germinating and onions started from seed doing well. Leeks will be ready to harvest in a month or so. Sadly my cabages all bolted so have left them to flower to keep the bees happy and yanked these out last week to let the soil rest up a little.  Have spent most of yesterday with the planting plan but head still not quite in the game so am sowing flowering stuff at the moment while i contemplate next plants. We have decided to move the fruit bushes out from the back of the trugs so have been moving these into the garden in various spots.

Currently have 2 starling nests in roof via 2 holes cant wait to get them out as the noise it annoying so once they have fledged i can get the holes filled up :) Robins nest in garden now appears to be empty though not sure if i should go near it our what there. Birds in garden this week include - pegion, rook, robins, goldfinch, great tit, blue tit, starlings, wren (jenny and the smaller ones).

Work has been very quite for the last 6 weeks and it will start ramping up again from next week so am taking avantage of the break to rest and then do a bit and repeating that while i can. Love contracting for that reason.

Cam

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Getting there slowly
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 14:23:15 »
good for you hope you have barrow fulls of produce after all the hard work and planning its fantastic news :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 14:40:15 »
Hi Ya, sounds like you have been a very busy boy. You will benefit for all the hard work. Poor starlings. they are classed as an endangered species. Their numbers have dropped considerably over time. They are also good for cleaning grubs out of lawns. I would hope you would reconsider blocking in holes as all wildlife needs any help it can get. I would be over the moon if they were nesting with me. Perhaps you could get specific nest boxes for them. Enjoy all when you can. I contract and it can be a drain as when work is available you have to do it. Good luck

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 14:15:55 »
they have to go but we have 5 nesting boxes in the garden at the moment as well as the noise there pulling the insulation out of the roof which is causing a mess in the garden and will not help my heating bills

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:23 »
Green algae in your pond.  Try some barley straw.

Chillis suggest you splash out and get some plants.

Had a starling down the chimney yesterday.  Difficult to catch it.  Was surprised just how light it was.   They are coming back here.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 22:09:27 »
thanks guys, pond now in a good place we replaced the UV light and filters as well as putting in a special biological agent which eats alge which is actually working :) the barley straw did not work for us sadly.

Waiting to see if the seeds germinate and might consider plants but the ones in the shops and garden centres near me seam to be quite gerneric so maybe i will give it a miss. Have layed out all the plants to go go into the garden and in total its 23 !! just a massive move about and filling gaps.

Husband and I will be moving a few things around tomorrow but were stiff and sore from today.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 21:05:57 »
Update - have 4 new chilli plants from the fresh seed and another gardener has supplied me with some sweet peppers, courgette plants and two aubergines :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal