Author Topic: Comfrey  (Read 5783 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Comfrey
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 12:17:29 »
Be all that as it may, an allergic reaction to the leaves is not unheard of. Both my wife and I have the same reaction to touching the leaves, extreme itchiness and a red rash.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 13:07:35 »
dotcommon,

are you sure you are growing bocking 14? the links have all mentioned that bokicng 14 does not produce viable seed. you may be growing a different variety altogether...

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 16:16:47 »
Hurrah! My root cuttings arrived already, cheers Phil  ;D

Can I keep them permanently in a pot? Or does this defeat the object - do the plants bring up nutrients from deep down?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 18:50:44 »
Moggle : yes, they do bring up trace nutrients from a depth etc which is why comfrey is so good (and why it's such a pain to get shot of!)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 19:40:49 »
i spread the wilted leaves round my leeks and the rust they had disappeared and they weren't affected by any more.

i cut my patch back 2 or 3 times a season leaving one clump to flower for the bees. mine hasn't spread at all.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2005, 09:05:44 »
Moggle,

I don't think they will flourish in a container, unless it is large. They will also require lots of fresh compost each year.

Phil

PS Moonbells - why would you want to get rid of it??

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2005, 10:17:47 »
Thanks from me too Phil, potted the cuttings up last night. I've a patch where a compost heap was that I was thinking of putting them in.

Jeremy

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2005, 10:23:32 »
Thanks all, will find a nice permament spot for them then

Moggle - one step closer to becoming a proper organic gardener  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2005, 13:03:07 »
Thanks from me too Phil.  Mine will go in the dappled shade of my apple tree I think.  There I can leave it to it, harvest what I need and leave the rest for the bees.  ;D

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2005, 13:09:59 »
Must get mine out of their pot. I have three in a rather large pot, but I think they need more room. I'll probably put them in with my ornamentals as they are rather pretty.
gone to pot :D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2005, 16:34:54 »
Moggle,

I don't think they will flourish in a container, unless it is large. They will also require lots of fresh compost each year.

Phil

PS Moonbells - why would you want to get rid of it??

I wouldn't! Just that earlier on in the thread people were muttering about it being invasive. I've put mine next to the Himalaya Giant bramble which is far far more invasive (and a thug to boot)

moonbells :)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2005, 16:42:57 »
Moonbells,

Also earlier you may have spotted my saying that Bocking 14, the variety Moggler has, is not invasive hence the advice

By mixing it with "thugs" you will probably need to dig up parts of the area, this will result in small bits of root being broken off which will produce a comfrey jungle.

When they are in leaf, I will produce a photo of my comfrey patch which has not been touched (except to harvest and feed the plants) since they were planted 5 years ago. The patch is the same size as it was then

Phil

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2005, 20:42:59 »
Had to decide where to put mine.  I got hold of three bags of manure today and when we got back in the car we soon realised it was very fresh :o.  Went up to the lottie to line my pond and dig yet another potato trench and put the manure in a covered pile where I am going to site my comfrey patch.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal