Author Topic: How to Get Rid of a Cape Fuchsia (Rhizome)  (Read 2873 times)

NikiG

• Frustrated Gardener!
How to Get Rid of a Cape Fuchsia (Rhizome)
« on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:07 »
 Hi everyone

I have what I think is a Cape Fuchsia (Phygelius capensis) which is taking over my entire garden! After doing some online research, I discovered this plant is a rhizome which may account for the fact that, despite my best efforts at digging it out, spraying glycophosphate on it etc, it pops back up somewhere else, twice as strong.

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to get rid of this triffid? Should I be pruning every new patch of growth to starve it of light? Should I use a stronger weedkiller?

All suggestions gratefully received.

NikiG

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: How to Get Rid of a Cape Fuchsia (Rhizome)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 16:49:10 »
I've had this plant- sold without any warning of how invasive it can get. I have just about got rid of it by digging out all the roots but you do have to keep an eye out for it popping up again, and it's a pain  if it's among plants you want to keep!

NikiG

• Frustrated Gardener!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 07:55:04 »
Hi Caroline

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice. I totally agree with you; the garden centre should have told me it was seriously invasive when I bought it. I actually had a member of staff with me, telling me which plants were the best for shade, and heavy clay soil, so they had ample opportunity to fully inform me. If I had known what would happen, I would never have bought this plant.

I will try and start digging, perhaps after some rain since right now, with such dry weather, the clay soil is like concrete! I think I will have a long fight on my hands from what you say.

Many thanks once again.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 22:48:15 »
I have two of these planted out: a deep red one which flowers prettily and is well-behaved and a yellow one which is rampant and flowers sparingly. Both are cuttings given to me by my mother, who grew I think them in pots (and I think doesn't have them anymore ...).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal