Author Topic: swifts  (Read 2515 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
swifts
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:10:35 »
On holiday watching hundreds of Swifts.  Their flying makes Red Arrows seem like amateurs. Their aerial flying display is breath taking.   How come they do not bump into each other?  They were flying in groups a few days ago but now seem to be pairing up.
They seem to be catching flies.  Do they fly with their beaks open hoping to catch something?  Can they see the flies while flying at remarkable speeds, do they echo locate.   How many flies do they need to eat to maintain enough energy to fly? 

pumkinlover

Re: swifts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 14:48:34 »
I believe that they fly with the beaks open and just scoop up the flies. Good on them!!
We only recently seen swallows but hopefully the swifts will reach us soon in the barren wastelands of the north. Well midlands really!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 17:53:17 »
I'm in Rhodes.  I thought they were on their way north.  But when I googled their nesting range this was included.  They appear to be nesting in spaces between concrete blocks.  I thought to begin they were swallows but tails short and they never land and they have short tails.  Seems Latin name apus means without feet.  Round us the swallows and house martins sit on the roof and chatter. 

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:04:42 »
Don't they catch them with a sticky patch on their chests? :glasses9: I could have the wrong bird.
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 13:21:29 »
I thought they were related to swallows.  Buts seems not, they are related to humming birds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal