Author Topic: Growmore top dressing  (Read 1549 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Growmore top dressing
« on: May 10, 2018, 12:59:51 »
Am I right in thinking that to top dress, you just put it on top of the ground?  Or do I have to dig it?
Sorry I don't really come from a background of growing soft fruit.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Growmore top dressing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 13:21:06 »
Yes, you just scatter it around the plants, it will wash into the soil as it rains or you water.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 15:25:00 »
Yes, you just scatter it around the plants, it will wash into the soil as it rains or you water.
Thanks for that, that is what I did, but it still seems to be there despite heavy rain in the first few weeks of April.  I suppose it is possible that the nutrients washed into the soil

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 17:00:35 »

This is how I carry out top dressing prior to planting out.

If applying later in the season spread it similarly between the rows and hoe it in!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 20:37:25 »
Thanks for that, I don't have a hoe, but I will try with a trowel.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 12:58:01 »
Thanks for that, I don't have a hoe, but I will try with a trowel.
If you have a rake or garden fork, drag it back and forth. The object is to place the granules just below the surface, so they absorb some water and soften.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 10:27:14 »
Incidentally a ring of growmore will put slugs off in anything except really wet weather (it is a mixture of salts including nitrates and phosphates and works just  like salt as long as it is still visible as little balls) - sorry if I left this late - but it turned out to be useless until now anyway.

It's worth sieving the little balls out of the mix for this purpose - I just shake them to the top and cream them off - I keep them dryer in a plastic bottle. The dust that remains is fine for normal uses (but don't scatter it if there's wind - absolutely none of it will go where you want). I've no idea if the balance of nutrients changes - I've never noticed any difference.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal